Responses To "khun Roo Mak!"

gawguy

Hi,

"but he's one of the brighter guys living in BKK"

Suck up :)

Sanuk!

Hey, wacky sh*t happens when you post under the influence (see root canal thread). But sycophancy sir, is where I draw the proverbial line. :)

btw - I always find it interesting that Thais almost always use the word eat (gin) instead of duum (drink - not sure how to write that one in English due to the funky 'uu' pronunciation) when they talk about whisky or hard liquor. Always hear 'gin lao' - drink whisky/liquor, rarely duum lao. (Not to be confused with 'gin laew' - already ate).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

จริงเหรอ? à¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§à¹à¸•

I hear people say 'duum bia' (drink beer) or duum whatever all the time. But also hear Gin frequently substituted for duum, especially, ESPECIALLY, when it comes to drinking alcohol as an activity.

For example - me: why you act so crazy yesterday?

thai woman:

เมื่อคืนนี้à¸à¸´à¸™à¹€à¸«à¸¥à¹‰à¸²à¹€à¸¢à¸­à¸° (last night drink alcohol (gin lao) too much).

So, when they're talking about the act of drinking as an abstract - eg, I was drinking last night - or go out drinking this weekend, I almost always hear it referred to as 'gin lao.' But I suppose it's my circle of low brow ne'er do well folks. :)

Of course, hi-so gentlemen such as Sir Flashermac Esq. run in the

à¸à¸´à¸™à¸¢à¸²à¹„ม่เขย่าขวด circle....

ใช่มั้ย?????

:neener:

This video by Alif Silpachai goes over the colloquial uses of à¸à¸´à¸™/ดื่ม.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUcFEanhBNo

As far as people saying ทาน (as in; ทานข้าว, รับประทานอาหาร, ทานอาหาร).. In the 8 years I've been in in this country I've NEVER heard it spoken by these people, not a single time, although I've seen it written more times than I can count on signage.

Back on the topic of the post. If ANY thai ever says รู้มาภto you, you're hanging around the wrong demographic o' thais. It's NOT a compliment by any wild stretch of the imagination. That's why I'd come back with a retort rather than anything else. Thais as a rule rarely "retort" to comments given their cultural "rules of engagement", and as foreigners here we're not bound by those rules so can lip off when ever the mood strikes us. Heck I don't take shit off people in English, I sure as hell ain't gonna take shit off these people in thai!

A good one I just learned is "when you're in a flock of crows, become a crow". For some reason thais don't particularly like crows. I find that strange as crows possess many of the attributes of these people; self centered, mercenary, cunning, crafty as well as traveling in "herds" (à¸à¸¹à¸‡'s). I used it the other day on a 'new thai' whilst sitting with my เพื่อนà¸à¸¹à¸‡ (close thai friends) Soi side. The new thai sure didn't seem to cotton to being called a crow, although my other thai friends didn't bat an eyelid over my comment. They already know I'm an asshole in both Thai and English.

Good luck..

Hi,

"In the 8 years I've been in in this country I've NEVER heard it spoken by these people, not a single time, although I've seen it written more times than I can count on signage."

Odd, I hear 'thaan' quite often. My wife uses it when we are in restaurants or in 'polite' company. The staff in my office uses it with me when asking if I've had lunch yet. Just some examples.

The 'rapathaan' is a lot less common. Not certain if I've ever heard that being used seriously other than on TV.

Sanuk!

Slightly off-topic;

While most Thais are loathe to admit it (in fact, some deny it outright with so much conviction and vehemence that the mind wobbles); there're a TON of Khmer words in the Thai language as it is today.

The reason is actually pretty simple. There're so many Khmer words in Thai because when these people (the people who would become thaiz) meandered down here after getting kicked out of the hills in the Yunnan area of China by the Chinese expansion; almost the entire country (which would later become Thailand) was under the rule of the Angkor Empire.Khmer was the language of the ruling class. A lot of the formal words in Thai have their roots firmly thai'd, err tied to the Khmer language.

While I's sure few are interested, here're two articles which talk about it;

http://womenlearntha...luence-in-thai/

http://sealang.net/s...an1986khmer.pdf

Good Luck

I try NOT to hang around thais which are "too educated", they always come off to me as having a "their shit doesn't stink" attitude, and that somehow because they managed to acquire a degree they're "better than everyone else". It's the same as the thais who go out of their way to tell me they're "thai-chinese", which I call "thai-nese-ians". I always ask them, "Really, how's that working out so far for you?"

I believe the nationwide university exam has been changed now, but the old exams required a lot of knowledge of Pali, Sanskrit and old Khmer word roots. Students complained that they had to learn it to get into a university, but unless they majored in Thai or Asian languages they had almost no need for it and promptly forgot it.

Archived