Are There Any Healthy Drinks In Thailand

gawguy

Trying to find a decent healthy drink in Pattaya has been a problem. I find myself stuck buying diet coke / coke zero, or soda water. But I would really like a non-carbonated drink.

In the USA they have Vitamin Water - Zero calorie. Several companies have come out with versions and the one I like the best is the Costco brand called Vita Rain. Tastes good, zero calories, non-carbonated.

Ideally I would like 0 calories, no sugar, natural flavor..etc.

Some drinks bottled in Thailand don't have nutrition info on label. Maybe one of those would be good, I don't know. I assume they have sugar.

(And yes... I know someone is going to tell me about beer, maybe lite beer. I like beer but I want to find something else.)

Thanks for any help.

Gaw Guy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home made Naminow Soda, it does have sugar, which you do need, in moderation, and most places alow you to add the amount you want, salt and lime juice, full of great electolytes. A great health drink.

I did an internet search for Naminow Soda Thailand and nothing came up. I don't know what it is or what "home made" indicates and "most places allow you.." Can you explain more please and maybe direct me to a link.

Thanks..GG

Maybe look for a diet tea. :dunno:

I buy tea bags and make tea. I also drink coffee. I bring Splenda and Stevia from the US as good, no-calorie sweeteners.

I appreciate this response and the others. So far it seems like the answer to my question "Are There Any Healthy Drinks In Thailand?" is "No." This suggests that the level of health awareness, while slowly improving, is pathetic. I don't expect the demand for something like Vitamin Water to come from the lower class, but there is a big, affluent middle class in BKK. Why haven't they expressed a demand that has resulted in some drinks coming on line? I see talk shows and infomercial programming that seems to be health product oriented. I'm sure it's more cosmetic than health.

And I assume this isn't just a Thai phenomenon. It's definitely SE Asia and maybe all of Asia including Korea and perhaps Japan.

(Also, in passing, a few years ago I might see one or two morbidly obese Thai people during a three-month visit. Now I'm seeing a couple more every week.)

GG

I don't expect the demand for something like Vitamin Water to come from the lower class, but there is a big, affluent middle class in BKK. Why haven't they expressed a demand that has resulted in some drinks coming on line? I see talk shows and infomercial programming that seems to be health product oriented. I'm sure it's more cosmetic than health.

They're only interested in drinks that will make them white...

The "diet" drinks (coke zero, etc) use aspertame...which is poison!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owtF2nt2VX4

Thanks for putting in the video. It may not be the best hard science, but it's the impetus I needed to quit diet drinks altogether. I had cut them to nothing in the USA where I have healthy zero-cal options. So now in TLand I'm going to be drinking iced tea, coffee and ice water. BTW I mentioned Splenda and Stevia as sweeteners. Neither have aspertame.

Thank you. GG

Archived