Are There Any Healthy Drinks In Thailand

gawguy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going into a 7 or a Family Mart my guess would be your chances are slim to none. Thais love sugar, and it's in virtually almost everything (I've found many street vendors even putting a little in the Som Tam, Tom Yum, Pad Ga Prao you buy on the street -- also added to the fresh squeezed orange juice). If you're ordering a natural fruit drink in a restaurant you could try saying mai saai nam dtaan (which I do when I get coffee, even then sometimes it still has sugar).

Curious to see what input you'll get here, I've found the same challenge - burnt out on sugar. Naamb(l)ao dude is your safe bet. Or making your own tea/coffee at home. Or ordering a pot of hot tea at a restaurant.

Hi,

I had the same problem a while back. I drank too much Pepsi. Tried looking for an alternative, but came up empty. I can't stand milk, it's too hot for tea most of the time, don't like this green tea Thais seem to love. Alcoholic drinks are out as well as I don't drink alcohol.

Drink mostly just water now, with an occassional Pepsi/Coke in restaurants (refuse to drink Est).

Sanuk!

pure & clean mineral water water & water. cheap healthy & 0 cal definitely :)

thais still drink plenty of that as opposed to other (carbonated,sweetened) soft drink junkie nations (most western countries).

add a bit of (dry) wine on the side if so inclined lol :p

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. From the replies, it's obviously a thorny issue. I have settled on cold tea with ice or without and Minere water with ice.

The video about sugar substitutes put me off diet drinks for good and I appreciate it. "Aspartame" - as they say, if your grandmother wouldn't know what it is, don't eat it.

Gaw Guy

Archived