After Windows 7 Update Computer Won't Boot

gawguy

Totally normal function and operation until today. Window Update let me know an update was ready and as always I let it install. At the end of the process it was supposed to shut down and restart, but during the shutdown it stalled on the splash screen for 15 minutes. That looked like bad news to me, but I had to shut it down sometime. I powered off and on and it stalled on the splash screen starting up.

WTF!! Since I did exactly what I was supposed to do, what is to keep it from happening next time that I do exactly what I'm supposed to do!!??

I searched on line and there isn't any solution for me. I had to set this computer up in one day before leaving USA because the one I wanted to bring was putting out an "activation needed" message which I hadn't noticed before. I only saw it when I went into System Properties for some reason. At any rate, I didn't have time to make a system backup which I could use to restore the system at this point, if it worked like it should. (If Windows Update worked like it should I wouldn't be in the shit right now either.)

I'm in Pattaya. If I were home I'd go to my repair guy and he'd fix it. I don't trust Thai techs and software enough to just run over to Tukcom with it. I don't know what would be put on from their repair or reinstall disk.

I am able to pull out the disk and hook it to another computer and access my files. I wondering if there's a way to undo the update with the disk hooked up externally?

If all else fails I'll just wait until I go home and take it in there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

GG

What model computer? Does it have a recovery partition? Do you have the W7 DVD?

It's a Lenovo T61 which I bought second hand. It's not very old. I didn't make a recovery partition for it and when I run the recovery software it doesn't give the option of just repairing the windows install - that one is grayed out. I think I would have to do a complete re-install and lose everything. I don't have the DVD - I've never gotten one with a second hand purchase.

The Lenovo has a recovery partition UNLESS you messed with the partition table or installed a new disk. But this may blow away your data unless there is a separate data partition on the disk.

Can you boot into Safe Mode (F8 or F12 key at powerup)? Then you may be able to go back to a good Restore Point.

Personally, I wouldn't be messing around with a laptop in Pattaya. :neener:

The Lenovo has a recovery partition UNLESS you messed with the partition table or installed a new disk. But this may blow away your data unless there is a separate data partition on the disk.

Can you boot into Safe Mode (F8 or F12 key at powerup)? Then you may be able to go back to a good Restore Point.

Personally, I wouldn't be messing around with a laptop in Pattaya. :neener:

Looking at the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery screen there are three options:

Quick Restore - grayed out

Full Restore - wipes everything and restores (I think)

Rescue Files - has options to back up files to be restored if needed. I never knew about that.

It won't start in Safe Mode - it begins the process then freezes just as it does on the splash screen.

So I was wondering if there's a way I can uninstall the updates with the disk hooked up to a different computer thru USB? Seems unlikely...

Thanks...GG

Leave it til you get back home. The only other thing to try is to buy a W7 boot DVD.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

The Startup Repair tool repairs Windows 7 by replacing important operating system files that might be damaged or missing. Startup Repair is an easy diagnostic and repair tool to use when Windows 7 fails to start properly.

To begin the Windows 7 Startup Repair process, you will need to boot from the Windows 7 DVD.

Archived