A Device For Skype Calls & Email

gawguy

Now that Windows Update has changed my Thinkpad into brick, I'm thinking about alternatives to Windows laptops which will guarantee that I be able to conduct my home business while in LOS. This will be a secondary device to have as backup. In the past my excellent fallback which I used many times has been a little Netbook running XP.

Prefer 2nd hand from Craigslist bought in USA, but if I have to buy in LOS, OK. So what to get?

The iPad Mini comes to mind but I'm not sure I can make Skype calls with it? Thinking about Apple because they seem to be the least hacked. Also if I buy one in USA will it work in Thailand with a different SIM? Do Apple products require a subscription in LOS? I don't want to give any personal info. (BTW I have a USA iPod 3 in USA, 2nd hand, flawless device. But no SIM - wifi only and I don't want to conduct business on wifi. I don't use it online and I don't put personal info on it.)

I don't want a regular smartphone because I don't want incoming calls. I receive incoming calls on a US based phone which instantly forwards to email.

Any and all suggestions for all kinds of devices welcome.

Thanks...Gaw Guy

Yes, Skype works on iPads. It also works on Android. What applications do you require for your business? You know, iPads have been bricked after an update. Just google it. :devil: Never do any updates when away from home base.

Skype also works on Ubuntu which has very few hacking problems.

Yes, Skype works on iPads. It also works on Android. What applications do you require for your business? You know, iPads have been bricked after an update. Just google it. :devil: Never do any updates when away from home base.

Skype also works on Ubuntu which has very few hacking problems.

For business I need a spreadsheet and word processor. Normally have used Excel and Word but I think OpenOffice would work fine.

Maybe an android based device instead of Apple to save money. I guess there's a million of them.

You mentioned ubuntu and I might look into that - maybe put up another post to discuss it.

(Looking at the bigger picture: At this time I have sufficient backup with XP devices - the Thinkpad T41 that I'm using now and a Samsung netbook. Problem is XP support ends in April 2014 so I need to find an alternative.)

Thanks...GG

Thank you Mr. Ting Tong for putting up that video.

You have a way of putting your finger on just the thing. In fact I'm not going to do anything anymore except put up posts and let you solve my problems. You da man!

So...when I back home I will start fiddling around with Ubuntu on one of my laptops. If it works out, and I think it will, I will install on my XP netbook before April 2014.

BTW: Kidding aside, I really appreciate your help. And, when I get good advice I take it.

Gaw Guy

Archived