Caffeine

sayjann

reading about 'new' research in the US and how the fears that caffeine is slowly entering the food chain(in higher doses) in many products that people don't think about or realise.

i like my coffee and drink 15-20 mugs a day until early evening and then swap for fizzy drinks which are not really that good for you.

i honestly don't know what effect caffeine has on me as de-caf coffee is fine by me and i do like caffeine-free diet coke,but are they really totally caffeine-free?.

'There have been documented cases of fatal overdoses caused by "caffeine toxicity", though these are very rare. Scientists at Johns Hopkins University, studying its addictive properties, found that withdrawal symptoms included tiredness, headaches, difficulty concentrating, muscle pain and nausea'.

well,if i suffer from none of the above,then i can live with that.

and also stated.

'In moderation, caffeine may have some positive effects. Research suggests it could be associated with a reduced risk of prostate cancer and breast cancer. A recent study linked drinking coffee and tea with a lower risk of type two diabetes'.

sounds good to me.

but then the bad news comes along.

But now even the US - home of Coca-Cola, Starbucks and the 5-Hour Energy shot - is questioning the wisdom of adding it to everyday foodstuffs like waffles, sunflower seeds, trail mix and jelly beans'.

since giving up alcohol my sugar intake has risen,which is not a good thing really.

but the producers of jelly-beans MUST keep caffeine in their product,i am so addicted to the lovely juicy sweets.

physically i'm fine on the outside but who knows what 'hidden' additives are doing to my insides.

but i don't think i'll die of a caffeine overdose.

I gave up all caffeine.

Still have coffee in morning - decaffinated.

Sleep has improved greatly.

Because of the popularity of caffeine - it has now been added to potato chips, Wrigleys Chewng gum, and a bunch of other junk foods.

It appears the younger folks just love caffeine.

I remember a few yrs back having a large Starbucks coffee late afternoon followed by some beers in the evening.....felt like I could have beaten Usain Bolt in a 100 m sprint....strong stuff :grinyes:

i do like my caffeine laced drinks during the day and i feel alert and up and running but i stop them early in the evening and unlike many others i have no trouble coming down and relaxing and getting good,undisturbed sleep.

but i am now trained in certain aspects of acupuncture and can now do it to myself,nothing fancy,just 10 needles in various points of the body to relax and just sort of meditate for around 20 mins or so.

afterwards i feel so relaxed and straight to sleep.

the caffeine/coffee fix is very strong when i wake up but i have a rule of at least 2 hours before that first caffeine hit and then i'm ready for anything.

but then again i chain-smoke for the first hour or so and that can't be that good.

i do tend to binge on caffeine/sugary drinks for about 8 hours then just stop and i find that no real problem.

Brother Sayjann,

You are following the same path as I have but 18 months later, when I got out of detox 2 years ago the coffee pot was on the go 24/7 and I was going through 12 cans of "Fizzy Drinks" a day, sort of replaced one addiction with another less harmful one.

It gets easier mate trust me, I slowly cut down on Caffeine and the Soda's (Most Soda's are Caffeine based) to a point where I don't even touch them anymore, I still smoke but over the past 12 Months have gone from 50 / Day to less than 10 / day, hopefully one of these days I can kick it for good.

It takes not only time but also strength of mind and self control, you have the strength and time is on your side, if acupuncture works for you then continue with it, as we say up North "More than One way to Skin a Cat"

I am not completely teetotal, I still enjoy a few beers now and again, but I can now have a night out then go 2 weeks without a drink no problem where as before I was "Vodka on Cornflakes" person, I now control the Alcohol it does not control me.

I know you don't like me and I am not asking you to, but we are both on the same Journey, it's not an easy path to follow but ride out the bumps and hang onto the wagon, don't fall off, you will like the results.

Brother Sayjann,

You are following the same path as I have but 18 months later, when I got out of detox 2 years ago the coffee pot was on the go 24/7 and I was going through 12 cans of "Fizzy Drinks" a day, sort of replaced one addiction with another less harmful one.

It gets easier mate trust me, I slowly cut down on Caffeine and the Soda's (Most Soda's are Caffeine based) to a point where I don't even touch them anymore, I still smoke but over the past 12 Months have gone from 50 / Day to less than 10 / day, hopefully one of these days I can kick it for good.

It takes not only time but also strength of mind and self control, you have the strength and time is on your side, if acupuncture works for you then continue with it, as we say up North "More than One way to Skin a Cat"

I am not completely teetotal, I still enjoy a few beers now and again, but I can now have a night out then go 2 weeks without a drink no problem where as before I was "Vodka on Cornflakes" person, I now control the Alcohol it does not control me.

I know you don't like me and I am not asking you to, but we are both on the same Journey, it's not an easy path to follow but ride out the bumps and hang onto the wagon, don't fall off, you will like the results.

i find i don't actually need the caffeine but what it.

i am now involved in working with people with addictions and helping them with looking at things in a different way.

all cravings/urges are 'wants' and not 'needs' and those cravings normally last for around 10-15 mins and then they subside.

humans 'need' only 2 basic things,food and water and everything else is a 'want'

i don't 'need' caffeine but i 'want' it at certain times but i have rules which i stick to as to when i drink it in vast amounts.

of course the stuff will enter my body so many times and many things i eat/drink will contain caffeine but at a smaller dosage.

people will swap one addiction for another and normally from drugs(many different types) to alcohol and find it more difficult to give up the alcohol.

i have 2 good friends who were heroin addicts for 20 plus years but gave it up with with no problems but swapped to alcohol and they wish they were still drug addicts as it was much easier to stop then alcohol.

my cross addiction is now sugar,hence the fizzy drinks but a 3 litre bottle lasts about 2 days so the caffeine intake is lower in theory.

my problem is i'm experimenting in not drinking coffee and it's hard because i love the stuff,3 days now.

my sugar intake is going up and up and i love anything which has lots of sugar,but i don't really know if that's worse than caffeine,i suppose different things affect different people in different ways.

wave a triple-choc muffin in my face and i'll bite your hand off.

luckily i have been lucky in my eyes where my willpower has kicked in without me knowing about it and i don't want or need alcohol at all now after 6 months without an alcoholic drink.

i know people like you who can have the odd drink now and then and i would like to think i could be like that.

i would love glass of wine or a pint of beer at christmas or on my birthday and think it would be fine and it would'nt be a problem

but would it be fine and not a problem?,i just don't know and it's just not worth the risk in my eyes.

and i have no problem going to places where alcohol is served but a coffee shop is another matter,i can easily sit for hours drinking coffee with lots of sugar.

but as i said earlier i can drink de-caff coffee,no big deal really.

seems i've gone off topic a bit,talking more about alcohol then caffeine,but both addictive.

Archived