Remodel Room

gawguy

A girl came over yesterday who speaks and writes English pretty well and when I asked her this question she said, "Tham hawng mai" "Make room new." But she is Issan, so maybe that's a regional way of putting it??

GG

• 1 month later...

Usually what you were told; ทำบ้านใหม่ is the colloquial way of sayin' it and universally understood. Especially if there's hammering and grinding goin' on in the background or you can smell lacquer thinner, lol... .

You can use ปรับปรุงบ้าน too. .

The tradesmen I hang around with who do remodels say รีโนเวทบ้าน. The first word is the English word renovate spelled (and pronounced) in Thai. I think it's become the standard way of saying it nowadays.

If it's just an room and not a house, you can sub out the word บ้าน for ห้อง (room). Conversely, you can also use the words, à¹à¸Ÿà¸¥à¹‡à¸• (the word "flat" spelled in Thai) or อพาร์ตเมนท์ (the word apartment spelled in Thai).

The easiest solution is usually the best, so I'd go with รีโนเวทอพาร์ตเมนท์ (renovate apartment). Don't forget to say it with a thai accent.

Sorry, about no karaoke thai transliterations...

• 2 weeks later...

Usually what you were told; ทำบ้านใหม่ is the colloquial way of sayin' it and universally understood. Especially if there's hammering and grinding goin' on in the background or you can smell lacquer thinner, lol... .

You can use ปรับปรุงบ้าน too. .

The tradesmen I hang around with who do remodels say รีโนเวทบ้าน. The first word is the English word renovate spelled (and pronounced) in Thai. I think it's become the standard way of saying it nowadays.

If it's just an room and not a house, you can sub out the word บ้าน for ห้อง (room). Conversely, you can also use the words, à¹à¸Ÿà¸¥à¹‡à¸• (the word "flat" spelled in Thai) or อพาร์ตเมนท์ (the word apartment spelled in Thai).

The easiest solution is usually the best, so I'd go with รีโนเวทอพาร์ตเมนท์ (renovate apartment). Don't forget to say it with a thai accent.

Sorry, about no karaoke thai transliterations...

Thank you.. I got it! I read enough Thai that I can read what you wrote. Really like your responses TD - you are a great asset here. Gaw Guy

Archived