Cheapest Mini Bar Beer?

The_Munchmaster

Up in Chiang Mai at the moment and staying at the Imperial Mae Ping hotel. I meant to post about this when I was here in January but forgot, anyway their mini bar beer prices are Baht 65 for local beer and Baht 100 for premium (imported?) beer. As they've only got Chang and Chang Export there are no premium beers so its Baht 65 for a beer and no add ons for service and tax. Compare this to the Regency park on Soi 22 where a mini bar beer (Heineken or Singha) is Baht 133++, i.e., Baht 157!

So how does Baht 65 compare with other hotels in LOS?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find many hotels outside of the Bangkok area charge a reasonable price. Even some resort hotels in the 4 star category have not been total rip offs.

I've had tall bottles for that price often!

Especially if your in cities like Mukdahan, Udon, Pittsanaluck etc,

Even the Centara in Udon had reasonable mini bar fees.

In 'Vegas recently I was stunned in that the fridge is a weighing scale, so the measure what you take out, and you can't go shopping and add things to the mini bar,

It's not a 'fridge, but an instant point of sale. I think I've seen one hotel in Bkk that has just introduced these, erghh!

Heh, I had to read this twice, a mini-bar beer as opposed to a mini bar-beer :easter::biggrin:

Did wonder at first if you were perhaps looking for Thailand's Knotty Ash or those mythical midget twin sisters.

As always though a good boy scout background can stand you in good stead. It requires perfect timing but 7-11 is everyone's favourite mini-bar, 35-40 baht a beer and stock the hotel fridge yourself. Be sure to ask the hotel to empty the fridge first and let them know what you're doing, and why.

There doesn't seem to be much reasoning behind hotel mini-bar prices though, seems to be whatever the owners think they can get away with. I'd say in provincial places folk are just a little more careful with their cash and presume that applies across the scale.

As for a weighing fridge, huh? What happens if I just add weight, like say a rock, then remove a beer?

MM, if you make it to Bosang (about 15 Km outside of CM, I have 18 bottles at my house of various tequilas, brandy, cognac, Irish whiskey and whisky, including a bottle of 31 year old Auchentoshan that has your name on it. And you will find my prices much less than comparable booze sold in Thai liquor stores. If you are still there in July, I might be persuaded to break out a bottle of 21 year old Auchentoshan.

As for a weighing fridge, huh? What happens if I just add weight, like say a rock, then remove a beer?

In that case I would guess they would simply charge the drink to your credit card, along with some kind of "processing fee".

Archived