Suk Soi 22 To Be Renamed Little India

This isn't actually a true statement but it might as well be, as other than Thais there are by far more Indians on Soi 22 than any other nationality. Sitting on the balcony of Cheers bar, sipping a few cold ones and watching the world go by is more like being in Bombay than Bangkok, seriously I kid you not!

I saw a white guy in the lobby of the Regency park yesterday and he was the first non Indian, other than Thais, I'd seen in the hotel since April!

Soi 22 has always had its resident population of those pesky fake watch sellers (why don't the police just arrest them all?) but now they've been joined by thousands of flat screen TV buyers. Seriously, every time I go through the Regency Park lobby there is a new stash of flat screen TV's (usually Samsung) waiting to be taken back to India. I'm not sure how the shops in Bangkok keep up with the demand?

Not sure what the single male Indians do at night, other than wandering aimlessly up and down the street stopping to look at their fellow countrymens fake watches, which they never buy, or congregating en masse outside my hotel, just to piss me off when I try to get in or out, coz you don't see them in the bars? One thing I have noticed quite regularly though is taxis stopping at the hotel and two Indian guys and one Thai girl getting out. Now either one of them failed to score or......? :hmmm:

Soi 22 has always had its resident population of those pesky fake watch sellers (why don't the police just arrest them all?) but now they've been joined by thousands of flat screen TV buyers. Seriously, every time I go through the Regency Park lobby there is a new stash of flat screen TV's (usually Samsung) waiting to be taken back to India. I'm not sure how the shops in Bangkok keep up with the demand?
When I went to Suvarnabhumi to check in for my flight home (via Hong Kong), I found myself behind a line of guys, all waiting to check in on the same airline, and every single one of them was pushing a dolly with at least one flat screen TV on it.

Luckily for me, a gate agent saw me, cane and all, and took pity. She asked me where I was checking in for, I told her, and she pulled me over to the priority line.

Pahurat/Pramulat as I poorly pronounce it, is a great area, Bangkok's Little India, some temples there, great shopping and food, plus the big indian temple in upper Silom is pretty cool.

However 2 things Munchie

1 - Soi 22 has a huge number of resident Indians living it, by far the greatest density of residient Indians I know of in Bangkok are in that immediate area.

3 - Indian Tourists are now one of the top 10 tourists coming to Thailand, given they look different from Asians, and not white, they tend to stand out.

I spend quite a bit of time on 22, all the way from Sukhumvit right down to where it joins 24 and Rama 4. It's actually quite pleasant from the IQP on down but definitely morphs into something else as you approach the Suk end.

As for the telly's, this gets me as well. What's the deal? Are they impossible to buy in Indiastan? I guess they must be, or phenomenally expensive. I wouldn't want to cart one back the bigger ones especially must be quite a weight and presumably they end up paying excess baggage, or do they come with no clothes other that what they wear, for an entire holiday! Would think if you can afford a foreign holiday you can afford a new telly.

MM, if you must stay at the Regency Park I guess you have to expect this though. Anywhere with rates attractive to a scotsman will find they are also attractive to subcontinentals.

MM, if you must stay at the Regency Park I guess you have to expect this though. Anywhere with rates attractive to a scotsman will find they are also attractive to subcontinentals.

I got a good laugh out of this one ! :applause:

Archived