Need A Satnav/gps

scoobydoo

Agreed with Sygic. It's a one-off payment for the maps you need; updates are free. Was surprised when first using it as it locked on faster than the dedicated GPS I was using, and the directions and voice all work great. A plus factor is that the Thailand map is in English.

The Nokia N97 (which is still kept in the glovebox as the spare) came with OVI maps and updates for life, BUT it still downloads the maps in Thai and can be quite tiresome to make sense of it. Which is why it remains a spare.

The dedicated GPS has since been give to a friend's son when the battery started showing signs of age and the need for a (paid) update.

Note that with the smartphone you also have the 'additional sensors' and 'data connection' to aid the 'GPS satellites' which is VERY useful if you ever go in a tunnel or someplace where the satellite signal is weak. You don't lose sense of where you are - I saw the actual tracking while I was in the tunnel - where with the dedicated unit the signal was completely lost and took quite a while to get a satellite lock back on. Enough time to get you really lost...

Archived