Some of them are very pretty. They told me they cannot actually renew their passports at the embassy. Have to go back to Iran for that and they hate going back.

But that does not make for a good story!

Not only are they mean to her at the Embassy but she "has to dress in head-to toe black robe".

Iran has not issued passports overseas since the Shah fell except in very rare circumstances. Same with so many Iranians in Japan....can't get a passport without going back.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several months ago while riding the train from HK to Guangzhou I sat next to an elderly woman and we started to chit chat. When the time came to fill out arrival immigration cards I noticed that she took out a passport with arabic writing and I commented on it. She looked Western and spoke Spanish and English quite well.

It was a Iranian Passport she told me, but all her life she never traveled to Iran. You know what they say about strangers traveling together exchanging life stories so I learned her story.

She was Jewish and was born in Syria to a prominent family. During 1947-48 her grandfather was accused of a crime because he was the head of the Jewish community, died and the remaining family fled for their lives to Lebanon during a pogrom, abandoning homes and businesses.

Shortly after arriving in Beirut, Lebanon the Syrian Government cancelled all passports. All Jews could not re-apply so they turned stateless.

This woman's father was able to purchase Iranian passports from the ambassador in Beirut so ever since she was a child this woman has been Iranian.

Now she is the last person in her family with an Iranian passport and is tired of the treatment she receives whenever she shows it. To get it renewed she has to dress in head-to toe black robe when she visits the Iranian embassy. Whenever she tries to make a bank transfer, Western banks will not allow her because of the bank sanctions against Iran, but she keeps plugging along visiting China and buying goods to sell in Spain.

I asked her why she didn't apply for an Israeli passport and she replied that she was Syrian and has never been to Israel in her life but she may have to do that soon.

Plainsdrifter,

I think you made this up.

Somehow, I was expecting a comment from you.

Whether you believe my post or not really doesn't matter to me.

If I held your political views, I would not believe the truth either, no matter who told it.

If you care one bit about the Jews who live in Iran you would not make up stories like this. There is a Jewish member of Parliament in Iran:

http://www.iranjewish.com/qAsE.htm

You can contact him above. He is bound by law to follow Iranian foreign policy so bear that in mind with what you write - but questions about passport renewals are straightforward. He or his staff will confirm that what you wrote is not true and that passports would not be issued for someone who has never been to Iran.

Jews in Iran do not need to hide and are even allowed alcohol. See the vodka here:

Either you are lying or you repeated an untrue story. It is horrible of you to cheapen the suffering of so many legitimate victims by making up such an offensively untrue story. There is plenty of tragedy to go around without your creativity, embellishment and fabrication.

What you are doing is very, very wrong and I bet people who really have suffered hate and despise you for it!

This has nothing to do with politics in any form. This is about honesty in general and the fact that you think the readership on this board is stupid enough to believe garbage like your post.

Archived