My Wife's Allergic To Living In U.s.

dean

Ever since we moved to another house, my wife has had almost daily episodes of allergic symptoms. Whether its pollen, skin rashes, etc., its rare that she doesn't complain about some allergy, except in the winter. Having been back in Thailand now for 3 weeks, she says she has quit taking any medication for allergies. Her 3 children have had no allergic reactions. Short of moving, I ca't come up with any remedies. Anyone else's thai wife have allergies outside of LOS?

Not just Thai ladies, anyone can have an allergy upon moving to another area.

Our bodies get used to dealing with one set of fungus, mold, pollen, etc and then another

set is thrown at it.

If the docs can come up with the specific item(s) that cause the allergy, then there is

a chance to stop it...

My mother had hay fever and allergies in the spring and summer at home for years. She came to visit me for 2 weeks in Bangkok, and her allergies went away! Can you believe that polluted Bangkok air was better for her than the clean air of delightful little city in the States? :dunno:

UK rather than US:

Hair loss in patches the size of a ten baht coin. Wife's patches grew back over the course of a year; a male student pal went home bald.

Dry itchy skin, red rashes - none of the Uk-prescribed meds worked, but two weeks back in LOS cured it and it never recurred.

I used to suffer badly from hayfever. About 9 years ago I got "desensitized" by the doctor. It was a simple process of scratching the skin on my arm about 12-20 times, and the doc putting a drop of known allergy pollens onto each scratch. Within seconds my skin reacted and I had a course of injections over a couple of months to desensitize my allergies. Has worked well since.

FWIW I had zero allergies during my 3 years in the UK, as well as travelling through Europe, the US and SEA. When I told my doctor this she wasn't surprised as Australia has one of the highest pollen counts in the world, not a lot of pollen in polluted cities like BKK and London, NY etc. A lot in the outer suburbs where I live now.

My mother had hay fever and allergies in the spring and summer at home for years. She came to visit me for 2 weeks in Bangkok, and her allergies went away! Can you believe that polluted Bangkok air was better for her than the clean air of delightful little city in the States? :dunno:

Baffles the mind indeed.

My son experienced exactly the same. So now he is very keen to leave farangland during the summer to go to Thailand.

And as a caring father, I naturally oblige :)

That's the way it was with me. I eventually started taking allergy shots which took care of the problem altogether. Now I'm allergy free in USA and LOS.

Archived