Atm Fees

1. Open a Thai bank account and have them issue you their bank ATM card for your account.

2. Wire transfer in funds from your country of origin (My Citibank account in the USA charges $20 for the wire xfr)

3. Now you can pull funds out of your Thai bank account, using the bank's ATM machine, without any bank charges as

long as you are within your bank account's area.

ie, your bank account (say, Kasikorn) was opened in Bangkok, you pull money from a Kasikorn ATM in Khon Kaen,

you will have to pay a small fee (10 ~ 20 baht?) as you are outside your bank account's area.

exactly as mentionned in my post above yours, thanks cav :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely the way to go though I have previously had a problem with just that idea. My UK onshore bank, Barclays, insist that the person making the transfer present themselves personally at the bank to make the wire transfer and further that the transfer could not be made repetitive, that is it had to be done in person each time. Fine for those visiting in a known time frame but more awkward if you are pretty much a fixture in Thailand. An offshore bank is easier I understand.

An offshore bank is easier I understand.

HSBC used to be my bank of choice but since they shut down personal banking operations in Thailand in 2012 it is no longer a viable option.

Now I find Standard Chartered the best for my needs, many branches in Bangkok and also in all the places where I work.

This really bugs me a bit. I have this electronic banking and it's fine for in country stuff but anything international seems totally unavailable on-line. All my queries as to why not seem to have been met by the usual, anti-terror- anti money laundering BS. :mad:

Even opening a bank account or transferring an existing one seems to be massively complicated and painful. :(

Stan Chart is another one that tends to shy away from personal banking though.

I don't know where you get that idea from they are great for personal banking, having an account in one country (Thailand for me) it has been easy to open accounts in other countries such as Qatar. I have been in contact with Standard Chatered in Dubai and all I have to do tomorrow is sign one form when I get there and account will be opened on the spot.

Plenty of branches in Bangkok, mostly around Sathorn / Rama III area, at a guess the branch nearest to you would be at Future Park Rangsit

http://www.standardchartered.co.th/atm-branch-locator/en/

http://www.standardc...king/index.html

Even though they sponsor Liverpool I still use them.

Kasikornbank is the one I always use as I know I will have no probs with it. I withdrew B20K on Thursday evening and the charge was B150.

Well no problems until last night when I used their ATM outside a Family Mart on Suk Soi 22 and it swallowed my card without giving me any money! :cussing::banghead:

The card expired end of June anyway (end of today I suppose) and perhaps that's why it was grabbed. :dunno:

It was my only way of accessing my funds but I have plenty cash to last me until I get my new card.

I don't know where you get that idea from they are great for personal banking, having an account in one country (Thailand for me) it has been easy to open accounts in other countries such as Qatar. I have been in contact with Standard Chatered in Dubai and all I have to do tomorrow is sign one form when I get there and account will be opened on the spot.

Plenty of branches in Bangkok, mostly around Sathorn / Rama III area, at a guess the branch nearest to you would be at Future Park Rangsit

http://www.standardc...nch-locator/en/

http://www.standardc...king/index.html

Even though they sponsor Liverpool I still use them.

Just checked with a friend who's used them for years and he concurs, good for personal banking and as noted quite a few branches in BKK though he advised to go to the main office for account opening stuff. I'll give it a whirl next week I think.

Archived