7 Reasons Why You Really Shoudn't Move To Cambodia

The_Munchmaster

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is purely tongue in cheek right?

Average age of death for a westerner in Cambodia is 57.4....who actually calculated this ?

"Rising prices in Thailand and stricter Thai visa regulations have already contributed to a noticeable influx of shifty-eyed, tattooed sexpats creeping across the border into Cambodia. Fortunately, a lot of those dudes haven’t made it past Sihanoukville." - True or not, he has already set the tone of where is going with the article....

Ok thats as far as I am going to bite...

Dunno ... flat broke.

I assume you are referring to LaoHuLi, I thought he moved out there to manage the Flamingo hotel in Phnom Penh but later lost the job and not long after, developed heart problems, but didn't have the money for proper hospital treatment. I think some of the board members at the time arranged a collection to help him.

This is purely tongue in cheek right?

Average age of death for a westerner in Cambodia is 57.4....who actually calculated this ?

"Rising prices in Thailand and stricter Thai visa regulations have already contributed to a noticeable influx of shifty-eyed, tattooed sexpats creeping across the border into Cambodia. Fortunately, a lot of those dudes haven’t made it past Sihanoukville." - True or not, he has already set the tone of where is going with the article....

Ok thats as far as I am going to bite...

It's of course tongue in cheek.

I love this paragraph:

What amazes me is that the Westerners who decide to raise their children in Cambodia remain in total denial about what terrible, selfish parents they really are. Some have even started a Yahoo group called the “Cambodia Parent Network,†where they exchange tips on how to raise their doomed offspring in a country where no responsible Western parent would ever voluntarily raise a child. Cambodia Parent Network? Good grief. That’s like starting the Chernobyl Gardening Club.

:grinyes:

I assume you are referring to LaoHuLi, I thought he moved out there to manage the Flamingo hotel in Phnom Penh but later lost the job and not long after, developed heart problems, but didn't have the money for proper hospital treatment. I think some of the board members at the time arranged a collection to help him.

He is the BM, but I had another friend who ended up dying in his 50s. Ironically, also a Canuck. Drugs shortened his life. :(

<<But perhaps the primary reason why expats tend to die young in Cambodia is that many of them “lose the plot†and develop unhealthy habits involving drugs, alcohol, and prostitution>>

I don't think I'd pay much for a male expat prostitute, that's just me of course, can't speak for everyone here, but seems to be a god reason why they end up broke.

Not hard to burn through a lot of money, if you run wild. I knew an Aussie who sold his house and moved to Bangkok, thinking it would last him forever. (Actually, quite a large sum when converted to Thai baht.) He managed to spend over half of it in just two years, before he somewhat came to his senses. The folks I know who moved to Cambodia had nowhere near that kind of money.

Archived