Ee-Dok / อีดอ� / Whore - Tell Me I Can Use It!

gawguy

I like to kid around and reading Tod Daniels response about the college girls calling each other "whore" for slang fun, that sounds like fun to me too. With my g/f in US I sometimes answer the phone "What do you want now you whore?" and she always cracks up. Wouldn't it be fun to do same in Thailand with some ladies I know and love? Or would they throw something at me, spin on heel and walk away forever? (I know I'm in the danger zone) Gaw Guy

I dunno that I'd call a thai an อีดอภ(if anyone else was in ear shot) as that's a little coarse even for as blunt as I speak Thai to these people. However I highly doubt you're gonna get your "lights punched out", addressing a whore with it. I mean it's better than à¸à¸°à¸«à¸£à¸µà¹ˆ (gaLreeL); which is really the word "curry" from Malaysian but is slang for whore in Thai. I jokingly refer to the sex tourists here as "curry tourists".

Still, even ruling out อีดอภfor anything but at home use with the thai significant other, there are a LOT of derogatory slang terms in Thai you can use and get away with IF you know the person.

If you know someone really well and you run into them on the Soi, or they call you on the phone it is fine to say ว่าไงอีสัตว์ (waaF ngaiM eeM satL).. It's sorta like "What's up animal?". Obviously it refers to the Thai you're talkin' to as an undefined animal (you know thais and their penchant for animal descriptive terms)..

I routinely greet the Thai younger teachers from several Thai languae schools who I know very well as อีสัตว์'s and I am not the worse for wear. Nor do I feel they take offense to it, seeing as I've known them goin' on 5 years now.

The younger Thais just draw out the word สัตว์ really long like saaaaaaatL.

I'd try, ไอ้เสือน้อย (aiF seuuaR naawyH) which is "you little tiger" and a sort of address like we'd use "you little minx"! There's also อีà¸à¸² (eeM gaaM) which is a crow. Now it is my experience Thais don't particularly like being called crows all that much. The times I've used อีà¸à¸² on thai gurlz I know and usually I get the retort of สัตว์พูดยังงี้ทำไม (Animal, why are you speakin' like this?).

Off topic but perhaps of marginal interest;

Nowadays the original phrase "How's it going?" has went from เป็นอย่างไรบ้าง (bpenM yaangL raiM baangF), down to เป็นไงบ้าง (bpenM ngaiM baangF) and now it's just a long drawn out งายยย (ngaaaiM); yet it still carries the same meaning as the original four word sentence. You also use งายยย (ngaaaiM) instead of ว่าไง (waaF ngaiM) for "What's up.

The Thais are famous for shortening things, and when they do it to English loan words it drives me up a wall. They took the English word "confirm" คอนเฟิร์ม and made it into เฟิร์ม (firmM) using the just second syllable. They'll use it when they're asking if something is confirmed, เฟิร์มมั้ย (firmM maiH) like you're gonna go meet up or something. If it's not they'll say; ยังไม่เฟิร์ม (yangM maiF firmM) haven't confirmed yet.. The worst one is them taking okay; โอเค (oohM kayM) and making it into just the first syllable "O", ususally said as โอมั้ย (oohM-maiH); is that okay? or โอà¸à¸§à¹ˆà¸² (oohM-gwaaL). Now the word à¸à¸§à¹ˆà¸² is used to make words like good ดี (deeM) into better ดีà¸à¸§à¹ˆà¸² (deeM-gwaaL), so โอà¸à¸§à¹ˆà¸² is okay-er, or possibly more okay...

Not surprisingly, I've got a list somewhere on the p/c of derogatory terms of informal address. Alas, I couldn't find it when I was typing this. I'll search about for it and if I do find it I'll post it.

Remember the register you speak to someone in Thai is thai'd errr, tied to the degree of intimacy you have with the person you're speaking to, so beware...

Good Luck, sorry for the long post. At least I tried to put karaoke Thai in for the people who can't read Thai...

Oh, one last thing. I made a post on a forum called Thai-language dot com about the worst Thai I've ever heard a foreigner spit out in the 8+ years I've been here. It's pretty good (if I do say so myself, and I do);

http://www.thai-lang...on/basic/t13272

I remember sitting in Woodstock one night with an American who spoke "Thai" almost exclusively to his wife. It wasn't quite "Addle-berry-wonder-psycho", since I could understand a few words here and there. But it was absolutely monotone, he couldn't have pronounced a ป or ต to save his soul, and he even managed to use the wrong vowels often enough. After a while, his wife asked me something, and when I replied her jaw dropped. "Why do you speak such good Thai?" she asked me in English. Well, frankly I don't. But compared to her husband, Chewbacca would have sounded good. :)

Amazing how people can mangle a language without even trying.

I remember sitting in Woodstock one night with an American who spoke "Thai" almost exclusively to his wife. It wasn't quite "Addle-berry-wonder-psycho", since I could understand a few words here and there. But it was absolutely monotone, he couldn't have pronounced a ป or ต to save his soul, and he even managed to use the wrong vowels often enough. After a while, his wife asked me something, and when I replied her jaw dropped. "Why do you speak such good Thai?" she asked me in English. Well, frankly I don't. But compared to her husband, Chewbacca would have sounded good. :)

Amazing how people can mangle a language without even trying.

One of my favorite frustrations is to be sitting alongside a couple who are barely acquainted and listen to the farang, usually an American, pontificating so very sincerely to the nice little ee-dok he thinks understands him because she has a 100-word English vocabulary. So he goes on about something big and important for 5 or 10 minutes and ends with something like, "Bottom line, I think your friend has confused the issue here because she is blinded by her inferiority complex. At any rate I have to be on my way at the moment. Have a nice night." The Thai girl whose neck is sore from nodding at intervals, nods a last time and says okay. He walks off and she sits there dumbfounded, like "WTF! Where is he going? I thought he liked me!"

Archived