Mosquitoes Love To Bite Beer Drinkers

Flashermac

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Three cases of dengue fever in Florida

STUART, Fla. (AP) — Health officials say they've confirmed three cases of dengue fever contracted in central Florida.

Dengue fever is a viral disease transmitted by mosquitoes. Millions of cases are reported worldwide each year, but it's rare for anyone to contract it in the United States.

The Florida Department of Health says the three patients are residents of Martin and St. Lucie counties. Officials say the patients acquired dengue from mosquitoes in Rio, near Jensen Beach. None have traveled internationally recently.

Officials say St. Lucie County hasn't had any cases of locally acquired dengue until now. There was one case in Martin County in 2011.

Dengue is sometimes called "break bone fever" because of the severe joint pain it causes in extreme cases. Other symptoms include high fever, severe headache and a rash.

http://www.myfoxny.com/Story/23146627/three-cases-of-dengue-fever-in-florida

I had Dengue recently.

Slept 3 days with a hot and cold fever, mild eye/headache, rash like measles down one leg, lost 5 Kg and had much lethargy, oh the lethargy.

Regarding how I felt about all of this, I've had worse flu.

And about day 5 you start to feel much better, then you get the extra large dose of lethargy and that lasts another week. End of week three is nearly back to normal, week four before I felt chipper again.

But, reading up on this, the big issue is that your cells leak fluid/water and your kidneys go berserk to keep up the supply, whilst the organs are not getting enough to function properly.

I'm told that my case was medium on the scale of things.

But as there are 4 similar but different types of the virus, my body is now immune to one, thinks it's immune to the other three but is not. So if I get one of the other three, it could be very serious as they'll do what they want whilst my immune system is fighting the 1st one.

Did you have a rash? That is a usual sign. The second time I had a helluva time getting home from work. Then I just crashed in bed. I told the cats they'd have to make do with dry food, since I was in no shape to go to the market for pla too for them. I had alternating chills and fever. I was worried about malaria, but when I finally managed to get to a doc, he pegged it right away as dengue. :(

Three people in my department got it that year. One of my neighbours did too.

Curiously, it's a people via mosquito to people disease.

Unless there's a vector I haven't read about, you get it from a mosquito who bit another human who has Dengue.

Which contrary to my expectations, makes cities more risky...

Archived