Full Body Scanners - Increased Risk Of Theft ?

gobbledonk

Guys, I haven't been through one of the new full body scanners which are now mandatory at Australian International Airports, at least according to this:

http://www.lifehacke...s-in-australia/

While I've never been comfortable at the speed with which my bag - containing various items including my wallet and credit cards - emerges from the X-Ray Machine to a sea of waiting hands eager to grab 'their' bag, I have the metal detectors well and truly sorted, removing anything that even remotely resembles 'metal' and sailing straight through without a beep. Cargo pants allow me to keep some notes in my pockets, but apparently that will be flagged as a 'problem' by the full body scanners.

My questions are simple :

- can I still see the 'conveyor belt' containing my carryon when I'm standing in a scanner with my arms above my head, assuming it's all done at the same checkpoint ?

- how long does the process take assuming there are no 'problems' ?

If any of the above sounds excessively paranoid, chances are that it's been a while since you've had to pack your life into a single suitcase and a carryon. Better paranoid than dumbfounded that someone has wandered off with my cash and cards in front of a phalanx of security designed to keep Australians and visitors to our shores 'safe'. Push comes to shove, I dont see Customs Officers as above suspicion either, but that's a topic best kept for another thread.

Thanks,

Gobble

Seems I spoke too soon on the 'Papillon' solution:

The scanner cannot detect internal medical devices such as pacemakers and metal implants

Pucker up, buttercup :D

The scanner cannot detect internal medical devices such as pacemakers and metal implants

At least that's what they say to placate the civil liberties folks.

Twist the sensitivity dial, a little to the right and they'll be able to read the manufacturer's names, on the transistors in your pacemaker and concealed dildo.

Well not yet, but I just watched Total Recall again and their take on tech from the future.

Who'd a though that in the future all the women would have 70's hair styles?

Seems I spoke too soon on the 'Papillon' solution:

The scanner cannot detect internal medical devices such as pacemakers and metal implants.

It most certainly *CAN* detect metal implants.

I get stopped EVERY FRICKING TIME. I've looked at the screen, and it is complaining about my left and right hips.

My pockets are EMPTY. The only metal anywhere near that area is my bilateral artificial hips.

Archived