How Difficult Getting Off Train At Don Maung?

dean

My wife and 3 kids (23, 16 and 5) will be taking the CM to Bangkok train on August 7 overnight, to catch their flight to the U.S. (leaving at 5 PM on the 8th). They can either get off at Don Maung and take a free shuttle buss to Swampy (and then check in to a hotel near the airport, which offers free transportation to and from the airport). Or, they can take the train to Bangkok and take a couple of taxis to the hotel. They will be travelling with 1-2 large suitcases each, with one carry on. I think it would be better to get off at the old airport but have never done that. I don't know how long a walk it is to the airport from the train stop. Has anyone done it and would you recommend it with the amount of luggage that they will be carrying?

In 2004. went to take rentacar from some outlet next to the DM train station. To get there, used (airconditioned) overpass that led from DM Airport building to then Amari hotel at DM, almost attached to the airport. The train station was right there.

From memory, it was same as going from airport counters to Amari hotel reception, without really leaving the building.

As TTM states, Air Con Walkway from DM Railway station to Airport.

Far better than going to Hualumphong which is an extra hours journey time then probably having to take 3 taxis between them due to luggage they are carrying, most taxis in Bangkok now are LPG and the tank takes up most of the boot (trunk) space.

I believe that the train stops at DM around 6 AM. I'm sure that they have no plans on doing anything in Bangkok and would prefer to stay at hotel until 3 PM, and then go to check in for their flight. I've already confirmed with the hotel that they can check in as early as 7 AM, so it sounds like getting off at DM and walking a little ways would be a lot easier than having to find a mini bus to take them from the train station to their hotel. Thanks

Which is why they are taking the 5 PM train, instead of a later one. It is supposed to be more of an express train but TIT. As long as the train doesn't break down and passengers are left to their own devises on how to finish the trip (as it did on one of my BKK-CM train trips), I'll be happy.

I did go from DM to Swampy by the free shuttle bus on Tuesday at 4:30 PM. From the info desk at Swampy; the bus goes from 7:00 AM to Midnight and from 9:30 AM goes at 30 minute intervals. These buses are leased from the city, so they have no luggage hold. If the bus is packed (as it was in my case), you have to hold your carry on on your lap or put the checked suitcase in the aisle. It may not be the best way for a family to travel with 2 checked and 1 carry one luggage a piece. A limo, which should hold 4 people, would cost around 1,000 baht. Its a 40 minute ride between airports.

• 2 weeks later...

indeed the train has a major stop at don muang airport some 60 minutes before arriving at hualumpong station and its much more convenient to get off there than main station for sure.

even if the shuttle bus may be crowded and not fit for lots of luggage (doh its a travellers shuttle!) one can choose numerous other means of transport including the large innova taxis which easily holds 3 persons & 6 suit cases or some kind of limosine or van right on the main road next to train stop or inside the terminal!

Archived