Patpong Through The Eyes Of Newbie Farang Girls

gobbledonk

I like the diversity of Patpong and feel it just has more "depth". Whereas Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy today feel rather like sex shopping centres with shops where they really only want you to step inside if you're a genuine buyer, at Patpong I like the variety of the area, the choice of decent places to grab a bite, and places to just hang out and relax where you won't be made unwelcome because you're not going to be buying.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stick, am I getting senile in my old age or do I find myself agreeing with your more over recent months. Maybe it is you who has changed since your early days in Bangkok and are beginning to see the city through the eyes of an old hand.

I agree about the diversity of Patpong, it is not an in your face sex market such as NEP or SC, variety of bars and restaurants with something to offer for all tastes.

If I could sum it up in a few words, I am not comfortable visiting NEP or SC with the wife yet in Patpong we are both relaxed and enjoy a good evening out, it's just more less in your face.

As previously mentioned I prefer the whole area, from good restaurants on Narawatiwat, the new Mall area at Chong Nonsri, the sub sois off Silom / Sala Daeng, Patpong itself and Suriwong, and its all within 10 minutes ride from home. I used to live Sukhumvit Soi 13, the days of Soi Zero and Buckskin Joes, Soi 10 beer garden across the road, clinton plaza on the doorstep and both NEP and SC within spitting distance but I grew out of it, got burned out by the scene, it's OK for a vacation but living here 24/7 it does become tedious..

I too like the area and the diversity it has to offer, this evening the wife asked me "Do I want to go to Sukhumvit" I was no thanks lets just go and have dinner and a bottle of wine then come home and listen to some music, and to be honest we probably had more fun than if we had hit Sukhumvit.

I like the diversity of Patpong and feel it just has more "depth". Whereas Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy today feel rather like sex shopping centres with shops where they really only want you to step inside if you're a genuine buyer, at Patpong I like the variety of the area, the choice of decent places to grab a bite, and places to just hang out and relax where you won't be made unwelcome because you're not going to be buying.

No-one hassles me in Golden Bar - not the staff or the other punters. Other than the odd flower seller or those crazy women with the hats, I dont even get hassled by the streetlife. Even out on the Soi, the only 'girls' who aggressively hassle me are the Katoeys - the LBFMs leave me alone. The fun starts when I leave Nana carpark and head toward Suk - its a complete circus from that point on, and a large part of that circus involves dodging tourists and Nigerians in the 'funnel' created by an ever-increasing number of stalls on both sides of the footpath. Even the 'morning shift' of hookers on that side of Suk doesnt annoy me to the same extent as the stalls - other than the odd pirate DVD and one or two sex toys, they have absolutely nothing I want. Also going to give Pantip a miss on my next trip - the place is a dead loss - will go to Fortune IT Mall instead.

I *get* that Farang tourists are a cash cow, but that goes well beyond the sex industry. It's a feeding frenzy, and one I can live without.

Must agree with Fortune v Panthip, every time a vendor asks me "Sexy Movie" in Panthip I just tell them I make my own, the looks on the faces are priceless.

But IMHO the IT mall of choice is ZEER out near rangsit, less distance than our 90 day trips to Chaeng Wattana to see our probation officer, more hardware than one could shake a stick at and at prices that put Panthip and Fortune tower to shame.

ZEER has been the best for years. Only drawback is that it's a long way for most of us to go.

From Sathorn and onto the expressway at Rama IV it's probably only an additional 20 minutes to Zeer than sitting in traffic through ratchaprasong and onto Petchaburi and the taxi cost is peanuts compared to other capital cities. As I mentioned most to us expats make the further run to Chaeng Wattana to see the probation officer every 90 days and up until 2006 we all headed to Don Muang. For me it is Zeer any day of the week over Pantip or Fortune tower.

Another hidden gem if living up higher Suk, or Pattanakarn where I used to reside is the IT mall at Seacon Square, a true Thai style shopping mall without your pretentious Hi-so's that emporium, T21 and Paragon seem to attract and it is one of the largest shopping malls in SE Asia.

If I could sum it up in a few words, I am not comfortable visiting NEP or SC with the wife yet in Patpong we are both relaxed and enjoy a good evening out, it's just more less in your face.

I guess that's a perfect recommendation for guys who bring their girlfriend/wife to LOS and want to have a glimpse at the P4P nightlife without getting served the divorce papers after their return...

:chinaman:

I guess that's a perfect recommendation for guys who bring their girlfriend/wife to LOS and want to have a glimpse at the P4P nightlife without getting served the divorce papers after their return...

:chinaman:

Kamui, I realise that your comment was made in jest but there is probably more truth to it than you realise.

The Pong is "Less in your Face" than NEP or SC so to visit their with ones nearest and dearest would probably be the safest option.

Archived