7-11 Stores

unit731

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7-11, a Japanese company, 50,000 stores worldwide. It's not easy to get into franchise agreement with them in Thai. Many on Thai related boards who dreamed to set up one for their bgs were disappointed to find how high the bar is:

(from memory:)

- at least high school certificate

- 5+ years retailing experience

- good money in the bank

Then, training.

Then, 7-11 decides who works in the shop, no relatives and sibblings.

10% of all sales go to 7-11. They know what is sold, they supply the merchandise.

After all that, the licensee, may pocket (working there himself) 40K baht a month. Like English teacher who gets far less trouble and frustration and far less work.

All 7-11's are a franchise from CP All, a subsidiary of Charoen Pokphand Group who also own True Move.

There are just of 7,000 stores in Thailand now over half of which are in Bangkok, making Thailand third on the list of countries of stores after Japan and the States.

Personally I prefer Family Mart, probably because it is only 20 meters walk from my apartment whereas 7-11 is 50 meters away.

In my sub Soi there is a Family Mart, a 7-11 on the corner of main Soi then a further Family Mart, 3 off 7-11's and a CP frozen food store on the main Soi all within 500 meters of each other plus numerous mom pop stores too many to count

7-11 Thailand franchises have nothing to do with Japan

I guess you are wrong:

7-11 Website says:

int_lic.gif

7-Eleven Around the World

7-Eleven, Inc., its parent company, Seven-Eleven Japan, master franchisees, licensees and affiliates operate more than 41,600 7-Eleven and other convenience stores in countries including Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, South Korea, China, Malaysia, Mexico, Canada, Singapore, Australia, Philippines, Indonesia, Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

http://corp.7-eleven...15/default.aspx

And another quote:

The global 7-Eleven franchise, run by Tokyo-based Seven & I Holdings Co. and its unit Seven-Eleven Japan, comprises more than 41,600 stores in 16 countries, including Japan, the U.S. and China. The group's international licensor, 7-Eleven Inc., runs stores in North America and grants licenses to franchises in areas outside of Japan.

WSJ

Hahaha

TTM claiming everything is Japanese again, last week he was telling us that Aeon was Japan's biggest retailer now he admits that it is Seven-I.

7-11 Thailand franchises have nothing to do with Japan

Read again. The source of your misinformation is actually correct:

Thailand

The franchise in Thailand is the CP ALL Public Company Limited, which in turn grants franchises to operators.

It is your misunderstanding of those two leading word. Only two. Try again. Big difference between that and "nothing to do with Japan".

There used to be five 7-Elevens in walking distance of my house, plus one Family Mart. The Family Mart and one 7-Eleven had to give it up. I do wonder how the others succeed.

The shelves of the 7-Elevens were almost bare during the floods 3 years ago, since the main warehouse was cut off by floods! The major groceries were the same. No one could restock, including the local fresh market (which was flooded). :p

There used to be five 7-Elevens in walking distance of my house, plus one Family Mart. The Family Mart and one 7-Eleven had to give it up. I do wonder how the others succeed.

The shelves of the 7-Elevens were almost bare during the floods 3 years ago, since the main warehouse was cut off by floods! The major groceries were the same. No one could restock, including the local fresh market (which was flooded). :p

I guess 7-11 doesn't offer territorial protection to the franchisee in LOS. If I remember right in Tokyo there is always one 7-11 near any subway/train station, but not more.

Archived