7-11 Stores

unit731

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friends have a 7-11 shop in Japan and are still making piles of $$$

Had it about 20 years now and still going strong!

While looking up 7-11's ownership I found some US websites on franchises. It seems that US stores don't have a clear zone neither and it seems to be hard work for the franchisee to run a store (60-80 h/w for the owner), but won't make him rich.

Most of Thailands 7/11's are owned and not a franchise, I believe CP would like to get rid of the earlier franchises, this is why you see them on corners,

Actually they belief is (and I support this) is that a Thai customer won't walk across a busy road, or walk up a croass over to use a store on the other side of the road, so CP opinion is you can have 4 very busy stores on all four corners, without them stealing businesses from each other, the Samui picture looks a lot less busy, sometimes also they take out a "good' corner to stop competition.

Family Mart going back 10 years was very successful in competition to 7/11, today not so much due to these actions from CP.

What we think is odd, is actually smart business in Thailand.

Not that everything CP does is smart.

Exactly today last year, first 7-11 opened in wife's hometown.

One of the locals got into it and built a new small building next to the existing "supermarket" which was more like a cement floor warehouse than a shop. He has been neighbor of that shop, his own land.

Immediate boycott followed. There were villagers monitoring who is buying "from rich people" and not from those that have always been there, giving goods "on tab" and sometimes even writing off for most difficult cases (father died, 3 kids, all he had in the book was erased).

Now it's normal. The old shop got aircons installed wife telling me.

Archived