What Do Asians Think Of Westerners?

think_too_mut

Hi,

"Throw in China and India and you get half of the human kind. Japan and Korea are far smaller but still enjoying old prominence."

My point was that your post is about what the Japanese think of Westerners. There is nothing in it mentioning any of the other 50+ countries in Asia.

China and India having half the human population is utterly irrelevant to this discussion.

Sanuk!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"utterly irrelevant"?

While 1 week stint of your colleague is relevant and he barely understood what he was seeing? But was bold enough to judge productivity. That arrogance will label him as I did in the first post. Exactly like that he was seen.

Or you are limiting it to Japan only? Why is that, Chinese, say those working for Huawey, will tell you that too about Cisco that they have fcuked so badly that they fired 5,000 people mainly in APJ. Indians from TATA, InfoSys also. And that is peer for peer, similar jobs and positions.

Hi,

Utterly irrelevant as you only spoke about Japanese.

As for my colleague, I was trying to put forward a different point of view, but apparently that is not appreciated as everything in Japan is better / best.

You obviously don't know my colleague as arrogant is the last word I'd use to describe him. What would your reaction be if you were in a different country and you would see people sleeping in the office and fucking about for hours? Would you think they are very productive?

He based his views on what he saw. You see different things. Fair enough, but just like you say don't judge Japanese work ethics on what he saw, you should not judge him on what he saw.

Sanuk!

Macy's, a chain of upmarket department stores in America said their staff is 70% more productive than equivalents in Japan (Takashimaya, Matsuzakaya). An that is true.

It would be easier to understand my point after this:

Milton Friedman (Nobel Prize laureate for Economics, The University of Chicago): "The sole purpose of a company to exist is to maximize dividends for their shareholders".

Contrary, Watanabe-san, ex-CEO of Toyota:

"Shareholders are not the only stake holders" Our priorities are:

1. Our customers

2. Our employees and their families

3. Our shareholders"

That is the fundamental difference.

Whoever has been to Japan, can confirm that customer service is best on the planet.

That is why, even well intended Western individual who tries to "improve productivity" is seen is clueless and even arrogant. People out of work? For what? For Wall Street criminals?

Being productive at the expense of jobs and family miseries is not their priority.

When you look at manufacturing, massively robotized, workers work exact minutes they are obliged to, then Japan is far ahead.

When you look at salary men, like me, long hours are put to do "scalpel, not chainsaw" work to improve every detail of a product or a service. That is what is not seen as "productive" but it is.

Google University does not teach that.

Flash, you yid, coon, coloured, gypsy, nigger, raghead, paki, wog, chink, nip, fag, that's gay, you're gay, rent-boy, queer, lady-boy, knob-jockey, poof, she-man, play like a girl, don't be a woman, queen, princess, spaz, downy, midget, cripple, retard curmudgeon.

Oops, sorry, you're not a Liverpool fan :shocked:

TTM says:

They think of the Westerners the same the Americans think of the Mexicans: Lazy, unreliable, "manana work".

Lazy shits.

TTM, I think you are currently in a phase of overemphasizing the quality of Japanese work and that you lost your critical distance to the country. As good as Japanese are in doing their jobs, in many major areas they have lost the competition (see Sony vs Samsung vs Apple)

Also for example Japan is extremely limited in regard to entrepreneurship. That's what Japanese business associations, researchers and politicians are repeating since than more than a decade.

Japan grapples with lack of entrepreneurs

(FT headline from June 2013)

That the Japanese are extremely xenophobe is another well established fact. The fact they despise Foreigners (especially other Asians nations) doesn't mean that they are much better in doing their jobs. They might be good in the business you are in, but generally they are more or less in a recession since over two decades. No other highly industrialized country has fucked up it's economy so deeply for such a long period of time (see: crash of the Japanese "Bubble Economy").

And don't forget Fukushima, this was man made disaster which is in its own league - caused by the Japanese way of doing business and politics.

PS: In regard to long working hours. It is well known that Japan's long working hours don't lead to a higher productivity. A lot of work could be done in less time, but even when a job is done in time a worker would for example never leave before his superior. Japanese workers are well trained in giving the impression of being extremely busy, even when they have nothing to do. Even in their free time it is despised just lazing around. I remember the story of two female Gaijin women hanging out on their balcony for hours. After some time someone of the neighborhood told them that they shouldn't do this... :shakehead

The Japanese why of life is the opposite to "Sanuk".

. The fact they despise Foreigners (especially other Asians nations)

They despise other Asians for sure but not really westerners.

Japan is in terrible shape as far as national debt goes but it is all held in Japan by Japanese.

The US is lucky in that a default can be somewhat isolated to certain countries. The Chinese for getting involved in some US action somewhere, or a default on a country like Saudia Arabia for "supporting terrorism".

This fact is not lost on central bankers.

Archived