3 Thai Bouncers Vs 1 Farang @ Nanaplaza

Boo Radley

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very Pattaya moment, that - that whole stretch of Soi 4 feels that way nowadays, like everyone - farang and Thai - is on some game or other, and just ready to flip on the violence. Just not a nice vibe at all, it's too bad, I like the morning drinking option but the number of farang with chips on their shoulders is out of hand. I get it with the Thais, they're legitimately protecting who knows how many rackets going on around there, and it's their country, they can enforce however they want. But the farang - take it somewhere else...

Anyone have the story on why the guy got his ass kicked? Usually one like that has a pretty clear reason, not 'just' being a drunken prick...

YimSiam

Is it just me or does it seem that incidents such as this inevitably involve tourists and business travellers and very rarely expats with the exception of the American Expat killed in Bangna a few weeks ago.

Do we quickly develop the "Don't Fuck with Thais" mentality as a survival instinct or are expats on a whole more tolerant and can fit in with the environment, not just in Thailand but on a global scale.

Don't get me wrong, on numerous occasions I may have deserved to have my arse whooped but then self survival diplomacy kicks in.

Mekong, I try not to fuck with *anyone* on the street, particularly in THEIR country, but we both know that we could find similar vids of stompings in Sydney/London etc. The 'pack mentality' seems to be international now, and it sickens me, but that's just the way it is. When you have junkies keeping armed cops at bay with nothing more than the threat of contracting HIV/AIDS from them, you know its a whole different world out there - surprised more people dont carry tasers.

Sorry, Cav - those days are gone - this is a tabloid jobbie, but it lines up with my own experience of our cities at night:

Rich country with a reasonably capable Police Force and no obvious class or religious tensions - why would we expect the Thais to somehow be better behaved ? Transplant Bangkok's population to Sydney and they'd be shooting one another in the face at traffic lights ......

I would add that I dont think 'suck my dick you little c*nt !' particularly helped this guys case - he was clearly pissed and we dont know exactly what went down in the bar. It's never easy to swallow your pride and just keep walking, but I suspect that might have been his best option.

Gobbie, I was not implying that you are a 2 week millionaire, having read some of your posts I recognise the fact that you have travelled extensively in SE Asia and are "Street Wise".

Maybe it is my survival instinct but there are certain areas of Bangkok that I do avoid like plague and other areas where I will only visit with my wife or Brother in Law by my side, call me a soft cunt if you wish but I do wish to avoid confrontation at all costs, I just enjoy a pleasant time out and return home in one piece.

Don't get me wrong, in my early years in Thailand I was an obnoxious prick and deserved a couple of slappings but those days are long behind me know.

Quick note - I think that YimSiam (and some other folks) correct in his assessment of Soi 4 becoming more aggressive, violence prone, and even intolerant. My own feeling --> is this is a product of "the outlaws" purchasing Nana plaza and running 'security' from the shadows (think Hells Angels doing security for the Rolling Stones at Altamont). Occasionally showing themselves in an intimidating posture.

You still see the street vendors hawking their wares on soi 4 itself (flowers, glasses, the weird fake tattoo armbands), but the Outlaws forbid them from coming in the plaza, and from what I understand they're not always nice about it. While this might seem welcome to some, there is street level resentment and more tension in the bars, many folks unhappy with it.

Anyway, most of my night time excursions are at the soi 11 circus which is where worlds collide and is relatively safe, or exploring new parts of the city (though taxis at night has become a major pain in the ass).

I'm a happy-go-lucky drinking guy (and yes I do drink, but never to the point of losing cognizance of my surroundings), but show Thais respect because I am a visitor. If they're assholes - just ignore and go the other way - gratefully have never been backed into a corner, but attempting a little language with politeness goes a long way here.

Archived