Robbed

The_Munchmaster

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The day I went to open the safe my code wouldn't work so staff had to use electronic master key to open it

Munchie, if the safe was one of those pissy little things with a keyboard entry, you don't even need a key to open it.

A few months ago when we moved into the shop there was one of this type of safe in the closet of the apartment upstairs....but it was locked....and no one knew the code.

I recalled reading on another Board a couple of years ago that all you need to do to open them is slap your palm hard on the top of the safe and at the same time turn the knob with your other hand...(apparently they operate on a magnet which is pushed away by the charge from the keypad.....hitting it makes the magnet jump.....same same)

So....I tried it.....took me 2 goes....BINGO....it's open

If you don't believe me.....try it yourself

I think there are even U Tube videos showing how to do it

Better to open a Thai Bank a/c and deposit your money there..... much safer IMHO

Sorry to hear of your bad luck

Cheers DS

Sorry to hear this Munchie, agree you need to have a local bank, I rarely use the safes, I also don't lock my bags when I stick them under the plane, my theory is if anyone sees something locked they are more willing to try to get into it, no idea if true but touch wood (lucky this is a morning post) I've been lucky so far

Sorry to hear about your losses, but what I find very strange is that not all money has been taken, why bother as a thief, it's all or nothing. Why leave any money?

That was my first thought as well: would make me think of an inside job where maybe they thought to continue taking "peicemeal" over time, figuring maybe the drunken Falang may assume he spent it and forgot - only they sure had a big 1st meal.

Some may recall years ago we had a thread on a certain popular hotel near 'Cowboy where that's exactly what our BM said was happening to the contents of his safe, only then they were taking smaller reasonable amounts each time, such that he had to write amounts down to be sure.

I always get Travel Insurance on every overseas trip nowadays, however it never covers theft from hotel rooms: will have to see how much more adding that will cost - may well be worth it.

Think I may also look into the Milockie device you can add to make breaking into your Hotel safe harder: http://www.milockie.com/

or here: http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/milockie-hotel-safe-lock-p-940.html

Sorry to hear this Munchie, agree you need to have a local bank, I rarely use the safes, I also don't lock my bags when I stick them under the plane, my theory is if anyone sees something locked they are more willing to try to get into it, no idea if true but touch wood (lucky this is a morning post) I've been lucky so far

I had a friend who always put crap stained underwear at the top of his suitcase. He figured it would disgust a thief, who wouldn't want to dig into such a bag. He claimed it worked with customs officers too. :p

If you stay mostly in one place I think the bank is by sure the best bet. Get a safe deposit box too for that other stuff you would rather not have in a vulnerable place.

Choose a nearby bank with some cute girls, make regular trips and before long you'll be shagging one for sure. There ya go - win win!!

Do a Youtube search on how to open a hotel safe - it isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

On a brighter note, one day I'd love for all these characters who don't exactly get along so well to all meet in a restaurant or bar and have a good old fashioned chin wag, oblivious to their monikers on the board and realise they all have a lot more in common than they appear not to - on the board. Mekong, MM, BB, Gobble, and the rest - probably find you would all get along famously in real life.

Note: Another plus to opening a local bank account - you can pay all your bills quickly online (top up minutes on phone or pay monthly if on a plan, pay electric, pay internet, etc.). Also, not hard to find a nice apartment that will go month to month and you seem to stay several weeks - can also easily pay your rent online. And no ATM fees if you use Bank's ATM.

Seriously - best of luck.

Ps. Every branch of Bangkok Bank I've ever visited has a few gorgeous women in their employ. Where do they all come from?

On a brighter note, one day I'd love for all these characters who don't exactly get along so well to all meet in a restaurant or bar and have a good old fashioned chin wag, oblivious to their monikers on the board and realise they all have a lot more in common than they appear not to - on the board. Mekong, MM, BB, Gobble, and the rest - probably find you would all get along famously in real life.

I have met BB on a couple of occasions and we got on just fine, MM has declined my offer to meet up for dinner one night, his choice and as for Gobbie I would actually like to meet the guy but I doubt it will ever happen in my life time.

Archived