Robbed

The_Munchmaster

Last week, sometime between Sunday and Wednesday US$ 1,200 was stolen from the safe in my room. I didn't go to the police immediately as the manager is a friend and the hotel wanted to review all the security camera footage for these dates first. They now say they have finished and there is nothing to show anyone entering my room, which means the perp/perps must have entered through a 5th floor window! They have now advised me to report the theft to the police. Also they have given no indication so far that they intend to compensate me for the loss and I doubt that they will.

So two questions, (1) does a hotel have any liability for money stolen from a room safe and (2) is there any point reporting this to the police?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question 1

http://www.antor.org/traveltips/hotel-liability.html, you are basically screwed over

Question 2

I have found dealings with Thai police more hassle than it was worth

I would not put it past them to question where the funds came from and report you to inland revenue

Just write it off as a loss and enjoy the rest of your stay here, there is no point in getting stressed out over less than 40,000 Baht, it was a life experience and I doubt that you are first that it has happened too. Go and have a few dum soda's and forget about it.

Several years ago my house was broken into, along with a neighbour's. I didn't lose much - a mobile phone, a few amulets and a bottle of booze, but the neighbour lost about 10,000 baht she had in her purse (lying on the kitchen table), plus all of her credit cards. The police came, wrote it all up and left. End of story. Nothing more happened.

Question 1

http://www.antor.org...lity.html,��you are basically screwed over

Your link just took me to the homepage so not sure what it says? Spoke to manager a short while ago and he confirmed that hotel will not compensate and mentioned a sign in the lobby which says they will only pay a maximum of Baht 5000 if anything stolen (never seen the sign), which is presumably Thai law? So yes, I guess I am screwed.

Question 2

I have found dealings with Thai police more hassle than it was worth. I would not put it past them to question where the funds came from and report you to inland revenue. Just write it off as a loss and enjoy the rest of your stay here, there is no point in getting stressed out over less than 40,000 Baht, it was a life experience and I doubt that you are first that it has happened too. Go and have a few dum soda's and forget about it.

You're probably right, although hard to forget about it.

Manager also said no point going to the police unless I had travel insurance, i.e., to get police report to make a claim. I don't have (never have had) travel insurance.

Having your safe robbed is pretty fucking bad. That reeks of inside job, I'd reconsider the 'friend' status and where you stay.

I'm quite sure it's an inside job, how else would someone get into room and into safe?

The day I went to open the safe my code wouldn't work so staff had to use electronic master key to open it and as soon as I picked up the envelope with the dollars in it I knew what had happened as the envelope was so thin and light (he/she/they didn't take it all, just about half).

Maid

ask your mate about staff rosters, is there anyone who finished a shift on Sunday only to be replaced by another on Monday? for example.

I took $500 dollars out on the Sunday after which my room was made up, so could have been then although the maids wouldn't have access to the safe master key. My room wasn't made up again until after I discovered the money was gone on the Thursday.

I'm quite sure it's an inside job, how else would someone get into room and into safe?

The day I went to open the safe my code wouldn't work so staff had to use electronic master key to open it and as soon as I picked up the envelope with the dollars in it I knew what had happened as the envelope was so thin and light (he/she/they didn't take it all, just about half).

Not to be obtuse, but yes - aware that you are smart enough to know that it's (99.99999% likely) an inside job.

I'm sure your 'friend' is aware of this also. Now Thai culture is complicated and maybe they just don't want to acknowledge ia problem (the whole face thing and all that blah blah blah), nevertheless - it did happen and you got the shaft. Period. Which shows a lot of things one doesn't need to extrapolate on, my point was - it's now demonstrated this is not a good environment for you, leave.

May not be totally pointless to put this on police radar as it may help some future bloke, but seriously doubt you'll get any compensation. (yes, aware this is also pointing out the obvious).

Several years ago the safe in my hotel wouldn't open when I entered my code so the hotel sent the bellman with a bag of master keys to open the safe. When I saw how easy it was to open, I resolved to never use the safe for valuables.

Ever since then I put about 5,000 TH equivalent of various currencies, a couple of folders, envelopes plus whatever not valuable meds I can find in my bag. The safe looks full but not very valuable if robbed. My actual valuables are hidden in plain sight and in my luggage. Risky but have not had anything gone missing from my room.

Archived