Eyesight

Mekong

Most of us take our eyesight for granted well I did up until a couple of years ago I have had 20-20 vision but after many years of abusing my liver with alcohol my vision started to fail at an alarming rate.

A couple of months ago I was diagnosed with cataracts in one of my eyes, this is something one would expect when in your mid 70's not late 40's. . My opto doc told me straight off, NO Booze, No Ciggies, No watching TV and limited time online, not wanting to loose vision of one eye I took her advice seriously and eventually it cleared up, but I knew I would need new glasses,

My eyes are getting bad and she recommended progressive lenses, unlike bi-focal or trifocal lenses progressives can be up to 10 different levels per eye, they are not cheap and only work in 75% of cases and they reckon it takes anywhere between 2 hours and 2 weeks to get used to them.

Within 2 minutes I was OK with them, both short and long vision is now perfect, I don't realise i am wearing glasses they are that good I am impressed.

Mr Munchie, the lenses alone were 25,000 so i splashed out another 12,000 on Gucci frame, bragging No Way, I like my eyesight, if ever you see a farang in a 99 Baht t-Shirt, 49 baht shorts, 29 baht flip flops and 37,000 Baht glasses that will be me .

I was so friggin scared about the fact that I may have lost the sight in one eye, that I am happy to pay top dollar to keep them working, it's only when one is in the position of maybe loosing vision of an eye that you realise just how important they are to you.

The no Alcohol or smoking was easy for me, I don't hide the fact that I am a recovering alcoholic but no TV and Limited Internet did do my head in it was enough to drive a man to drinking and smoking, fortunately I had my music so I just listened to tunes for a couple of months.

We all take our hearing and eyesight as a given right, its only when realises that one may loose one of ones senses and the "Holy Shit" scenario kicks in.

Everyone take care of yourselves since this latest scare put the shit up me, I don't mean a small time fear I was "Holy Farkin Shit" scared shitless. not many things worry me bur believe me this did.

I must admit though that the new glasses are the dogs bollox and as the days go on I will get more used to them, I may look like Joe 90 but who cares, I still have my sight,

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked into selling eye glasses on line once upon a time, finally decided there were too many problems with suppliers. One thing I did learn is that those fancy frames like as not were made in China, and I mean genuine - not fake. Most of the top name frames are made under contract in China these days. A good portion of the lenses sort of "walk out the back door" and end up on the local market. Some allegedly end up in LOS for sale in Penang Market. Those "fake lenses" one sees just might be the real thing. Caveat emptor.

e.g. http://www.cheapgucc...asses-c-94.html

http://www.666usd.co...e-n2436_p1.html

My Lenses were genuine, took them 10 days to produce them so deffo not fakes, had my original script from BHN then reconfirmed at an opticians in Siilom where I purchased from.

All I can say is that the proof is in the pudding and these lenses work for me, Short vision and long vision they do the job. i can read a website or newspaper then also read a road sign 500M away just as clear.

Progressive lenses are still a new art and the 25% failure rate is not that good, but the important fact in my case is that mine work for me, I have no scientific data to back up my observations but I now have clear vision once again, no need for reading glasses and long sight glasses, this pair does the job and the fact they are photosensitive means I don't need a pair of sunglasses.

I am probably just lucky, about time I got some good luck, but they work for me and at the end of the day thats all that matters. If anyone else was to try glasses on it may be that they are off their head on acid, Mrs M tried them out for 30 seconds and they freaked her out, then again I cannot use her glasses .

Bottom line is they work for me and thats all that matters, I was over 40 years with 20-20 vision and it is only recently due to mu liver condition that my eyesight has been failing, these Progressive Lenses have restored my 20-20 vision. again, no scientific proof but as a user I can recognise the positive effects. .

I was asked to look at an eye chart today and was asked if I could read the bottom line " P R I N T E D I N E G L A N D", they did ask the bottom line

Just curious as to why you didn't go to Rutnin Hospital. I'm sure BHN did at least as good a job but when I had my left eye closed for 5 days by a chair, Rutnin was the first place that came to mind because they specialize on eyes.

BNH is my local hospital, OK its within spitting distance of home but I prefer it over Bum Run Grab or Saint Louise.

I have had good care from my consultant over my liver and even I was wise enough to recognise that my eye issue was a complication of my liver condition rather than a new issue so I chose to have diagnostic and treatment and a place where my record is well documented.

If it had just been an eye complaint I would have probably gone to Ruthin on Askoke but since it was a complication of an existing health issue I decided to use the hospital where my record is known.

She was / is a very professional Optometrist, I got more consultation in my first 30 minutes with her than i got in 4 months whilst back in UK, she gave me 3D eye x rays and shared her results with me by sharing electronic files with me this is the problem and this is how we can fix it when she told me NO BEER, I listened being sober for 2-3 months sure beats being blind for the rest of your life.

She was very surprised at how soon it cleared up, I was well, you are the boss, no beer no smoking no TV and eating plenty of vitamin C and D, what is the point in seeing doctor if you don't listen to them?

Got glasses myself about a month ago now, got to say the difference is amazing.

Re the frames, one of my ex clients was/is an optometrist - even the genuine ones they get for a LOT less than the big $$ they charge... think hundreds of baht each rather than thousands when they buy in bulk, that's the name brands - cheap brands even less. Doesn't make the good brands lesser quality though, that's just what the retailers pay..

Archived