Eyesight

Mekong

Anyone here been to Rutnin Eye Hospital?

I binned Samitivej as an option after the opthamologist fumbled the equipment badly during diagnostic tests.

Bumrungrad better, albeit expensive (had cataract surgery there a couple of years ago). It worked at the time, but vision is now fading in one eye. Maybe time for a re-bore.

Any other suggestions in BKK most welcome.

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in the states, eye wear is dominated by one company, Luxottica. For the most part. they control the market. That is the principal reason why prescription glasses are so expensive.

There is one company that has some success in doing mail order for $95, prescription lenses and frame included. This company was started by a couple of undergraduates from University of Penn. The frames

are designed by them but manufactured in China.

www.warbyparker.com

I purchased a pair from Warby Parker and am very happy with the results.

• 1 month later...

Got glasses myself about a month ago now, got to say the difference is amazing.

Re the frames, one of my ex clients was/is an optometrist - even the genuine ones they get for a LOT less than the big $$ they charge... think hundreds of baht each rather than thousands when they buy in bulk, that's the name brands - cheap brands even less. Doesn't make the good brands lesser quality though, that's just what the retailers pay..

I bought a pair of progressive, transition glasses with titanium frames. The turn around time was 1 day and the cost was 4000 baht. I brought the prescription from 'America'.

Got pulled over last night for a Random breath Test.....no problem hadn't been drinking. But to my surprise was asked if I was wearing contacts to which I replied no, then got threatened with a $230 fine for no wearing my glasses.

Excuse me!!!!!! Have never worn glasses in my life. Unbeknown too me in small print ( too small for me to read :)) are the words "Must wear specs or contacts at all times" So now I have to go and get my licence changed.......waste of an hour.

Archived