Football Season 2013-2014

Zaad

Just checked re the double.. twice. Damn close indeed.

I agree we could surprise a few people this season other than the Arsenal fanbase :)

Was hoping Barry and Milner would become plan B at City and opt for a return to Villa. They could add much needed experience to the squad and offer the pair the regular football they need in prep for next year's World Cup.

Looks to me that Wenger is losing the plot. I've been a big fan of him but this season he's looking more and more like he lost it. Starting with his comments how this side can play for the title and his (so far) failed transfer shenanigans.

Suarez :help: :o:ohmy: :shakehead:angryfire: :cussing::banghead::closemouth:

Limbo,

I think he did very good selling a load of useless players who either lack quality to become regular 1st team players and youngsters who got the potential to play for a mediocre EPL team tops. Tidying things up at 1st team and reserve team is healthy for the wallet and sends a positive and clear message to those who make the 'cut'.

But like you I'm surprised he's done so little this transfer window and ideally you'd want your team near completion before kick-off and avoid any (desperate thus overpriced) last-minute transfers on deadline day.

Some quality players at PSV and Ajax at the moment, Eriksen in particular. I really expect(ed) him to go to a top side this summer.

He's yet to play a game this calendar year since he ruptured his ligament Dec '12. Hasn't played for 8 months but likely to make his comeback next month. He'll need to prove himself again, fight for a starting place before scouts waste their time on him. Going to be tough for him tho to make the starting line-up since PSV is doing well with their current batch of young talents.

Zaad, that was part of the reason I always liked and defended him, and I still have a very weak or soft spot for him but he can't seriously mean that the current squad can compete for the title. The loss vs Villa was hopefully just that, a glitch, but it didn't help his cause of not having bought any players this season, except one.

Also the way bids have been placed, clear cut sample the 40,000,001 bid for Suarez are slightly off, now again with the bid for Cabaye, a panic bid for a good player but at that position and with similar players, the Arsenal is loaded. Nothing against Cabaye, a very good player, but not what is needed at the Emirates. Mr. Wenger would do better if he would look for a steady goalie and that still vacant spot that Vieira left behind. Just imho.

If Arsenal were to win the title this year it'd be a major fooking upset as you say Wenger stating his side can compete for the title??!!?? This planet doesn't harbor enough salt for me to take :D

He needs to be realistic and look at the top 5-6 teams and compare line to line. Doesn't look so good suddenly but I gotta say you have a solid midfield as it is. But stating the obvious again a(any) team is as strong as its weakest link and for the Arse it's their defense. A revitalized defense (I'd say a GK and R&L full backs at least) + a strong solid striker (Podolski and Giroud?? that's Europa League pedigree) would bombard you guys to true title contenders.

Arsenal starting XI Vs Villa:

GK: Szczęsny

Def: Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs

MID: Rosický, Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Att: Giroud

With Arteta, Cazorla, Diaby, Vermaelen in the squad the 4 weakest positions that need immediate strengthening are without a doubt GK, RB, LB, ST.

It wasn't so much Villa were good it was just that Arsenal aren't much cop these days. Villa will be mid table if theyre lucky. They are just not that good. Arsenal are a mess. As far as the league, are the bookies tapping Mourinho? If so, its a logical choice. Of the top 3 clubs, he's the most settled, he's been there, done that. Man City have the best squad top to bottom but Chelsea have a lot of quality as well.

Tottenham is spending the Bale money that they don't have, about 120 mil quid so far but they are buying wisely. People accuse Wenger of not liking British players but AVB has released a lot of Brits (Huddlestone, Parker, etc.) and as far as I know has yet to buy a British player. Arsenal have Wilshire, Ramsey, Gibbs, Walcott who play regularly.

This is one of the most wide open EPL seasons in a very long time. 3 clubs who can win it and Sperz in position to get top 4. Arsenal could go either way depending on who they buy but at this late stage it may be panic buys who won't help enough.