Football Season 2013-2014

Zaad

Good question Zaad,

Now I have had time to reflect on the situation and my knee has stopped jerking so to speak I am asking myself do we need an Ozil when we have Kagawa? His performances at Dortmund were on par with Ozil. OK he was a little below par last season but was never giver a fixed role.

Could Fellaini be the new Robson or Keane the midfield enforcer we have been missing for years, what Vierra was for Arsenal and what Yaya is for City, only time will tell, I can only hope.

If I was picking the team, I would go 4-3-1-2, rely on the wing backs for the width Fellaini as holding midfield freeing up carrick and whoever to be more attacking minded, Kagawa in the hole then any one of 5 for the upfront pairing , (OK RvP + 1). He also needs new blood on the Bench, Zaha, Lingard Adnan etc so we could switch to a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 if required, but I am not picking the team am I.

I am still prepared to give Moyes until New Year before I pass opinion on him, I am still a "Glass Half Full" mentality but if he ever stats Giggs, Wellbeck and Young together again the glass would not be half empty it would be lying in 1,000 broken pieces and I may be having to look at replacing my iPad screen again.

Overall United do have a strong squad, the question is can Moyes utilise them correctly

A Kagawa in form would definitely solve that creativivity problem, Mekong.

I do like Moyes but it just looks quite poor persistently hunting for players and failing on numerous ocassions and ending up with Fellaini seconds before deadline.

Obviously he can't repeat often enough how much faith he's got in the current squad.

Sure Man U have a good squad and still capable of retaining the title but there's no doubt in my mind he left a nice chunk of the players and fans thinking WTF???

Not what you call a confidence boost.

I feel they'd have been better off not buying anyone. A 1st pick player or none at all would be a better message.

Your opinion Mekong.. would you have preffered no signing at all?

Zaad,

I don't blame Moyes at all he identified his targets but it was screwed up by 3 Planks (Edward Woodward) the new chief executive, Whilst Woodward may be good at tying up sponsorship deals with Aeroflot and Taiwanese tyre manufactures but he has to realise that off field financial results are directly proportional to on field performances. The importance of David Gill stepping down this summer is often overlooked.

Even though I have no proof to back it up, but my gut feeling is that Fellaini is a Fergie signing, he did go in for him is 2008 but was not prepared to match the 15 Million Everton paid for him at the time, sort of "David I want you to take over from me but you HAVE to bring Fellaini with you", that wouldn't surprise me one little bit.

Even a blind man could see that defensive midfield has been United's achilles heel and was a gap that need filling for a few years now and in my opinion Fellaini was the best option available. I must confess that I have not seen play that much, only in games against United (obviously) where he always gave us a torrid time and in games against teams I consider to be our rivals, City, Arsenal and Chelsea as well as the Merseyside derby. I wouldn't say that he bossed every game but he came out on top more often than not and whilst not on par with say Keane, Vierra, Yaya Tourre just yet he has the potential to reach that level and he is still only 25. Another advantage is that his signing takes a load off Carrick and frees him up from his defensive duties.

Missing out on other targets for creative midfield players could be a blessing in disguise as it will offer more game time for Kagawa and hopefully Adnan Januzaj will get a few games, I wouldn't want a repeat of the Podgba situation and lose Januzaj for the same reasons, oh and he is Belgium as well the same as Fellaini. He is not been named in the squad but he does not have to be as an 18 year old who has been at United for over 2 years he is classed as a home grown player and is eligible for any domestic game.

For this to work Rooney needs to be more disciplined, he does have a tendency to drop into midfield to come looking for the ball and basically get in the way some times, don't get me wrong I rate Rooney and I think his work rate is admirable but we need to retain our shape more and if after say 75 minutes United are chasing the game then he can drop back.

There are rumours that United may bid again for Herrera in the January transfer window, Bilbao are not it Europe this Season so he would not be cup tied for champions league but for me it's a catch 22 situation. If United are there or there about in the League and through to the knockout stages of Champions League then why would we need him, whereas if United are off the pace in the League and didn't qualify for the knockout stages why would he want to join United.

It's going to be an eventful Season thats for sure and all we can do now is wait and see.

• Like 1

I'm ecstatic and overjoyed at Ozil. That said, it doesn't hide the fact that Wenger f*cked royally this summer. How he could go the summer window without getting a striker at the very least is mind boggling. You don't pass on an Ozil. You have to buy these types of players when/if they become available to you but it wasn't an either/or situation. He had 70 mil plus to play with. A striker should have been the first player bought (the French u21 Sanogo we bought doesn't count). My guess is we are going to be very active in January to make up for the cock ups from this summer. Only Man Utd had a worse summer. Really surprised and the naivety of their execs in the transfer business is evident. Fabregas would never play for Man Utd. Everyone knows that, he hates the club. Fabregas had a clause put in his contract that says Arsenal has first rights of refusal. This is the player that threw pizza at Ferguson. Moyes shouldn't be surprised when it was reported that when Barcelona asked Fabregas if he was willing to join Man Utd, he said no and was opposed. He's a gooner. Anyway, very disappointed in Arsenal. We were chasing DiMaria as well. We needed a dcm. Cabaye went on strike at Newcastle to force a move to us. Talk of Gustavo as well but we re-sign Flamini. Good little player but he should have been a second choice after we bought a dcm. Anyway, Ozil is a 'Bergkamp' moment for Arsenal. We can still attract world class players despite the last several years. Big club, big city, big stadium. Its a big draw for any player. What I am also feeling dirty about is liking Gary Neville. He speaks well of The Arsenal. Said it was the most difficult team domestically he's ever had to play against. He tweets nice things about us. The level of respect is evident. He's also a fine commentator. I feel so dirty for liking him now. I have to shower after every time he says something nice about us. Tottenham had a great summer. If they can gel they will be very difficult.

Missing out on other targets for creative midfield players could be a blessing in disguise as it will offer more game time for Kagawa and hopefully Adnan Januzaj will get a few games,..

I hope you're right. Kagawa would definitely make the team if he plays at his best but my guess he's been too inconsistent lately. Rooney doesn't seem to want to play as AM behind v.Persie but with the 2014 WC in mind he may want to do what's best for the team and ultimately best for him, as many minutes on the pitch as possible.

I'm ecstatic and overjoyed at Ozil. That said, it doesn't hide the fact that Wenger f*cked royally this summer. How he could go the summer window without getting a striker at the very least is mind boggling. .

He failed in his attempts to get Suarez and Higuain but why stop there? I'm sure he could've bought a top striker for the money he spent on Ozil. Eto'o despite his age would probably do more than OK even if it were for just 1 season. Wenger isn't a risk-taker tho and I guess they are unwilling to give him a massive salary.

What I am also feeling dirty about is liking Gary Neville.I have to shower after every time he says something nice about us.

hahahahaha!!

I wil be on a flight to LOS tonight and will miss the live showing of the greatest football club in the known and unknown universe, The only club in England known as 'The', the club Gooners love and all others envy and strive to be, The Arsenal, if the game is being shown live I will miss it. Can anyone check the schedule if you can and let me know what time it will be replayed? I assume it will be shown again on Sunday at some point if not Monday.