Football Season 2013-2014

Zaad

Here's a debate I had on a gooner forum and will bring it here. If America took up football in earnest. By that I mean, it became as popular as American football, basketball and baseball and our best athletes added football to sports they wanted to enter professionally, where do you thnk America would be internationally ranked or how good (or bad) would we be?

I wil be on a flight to LOS tonight and will miss the live showing of the greatest football club in the known and unknown universe, The only club in England known as 'The', the club Gooners love and all others envy and strive to be, The Arsenal, if the game is being shown live I will miss it. Can anyone check the schedule if you can and let me know what time it will be replayed? I assume it will be shown again on Sunday at some point if not Monday.

Steve

It's all changed this season games are not shown on TRUE Vision anymore but a new satellite broadcaster Cable Thai Holdings (CTH) which I doubt is installed in any hotels and only a handful of bars have it yet. CTH online schedule only lists live broadcasts times even though games are repeated throughout the following week.

Have a good trip.

Here's a debate I had on a gooner forum and will bring it here. If America took up football in earnest. By that I mean, it became as popular as American football, basketball and baseball and our best athletes added football to sports they wanted to enter professionally, where do you thnk America would be internationally ranked or how good (or bad) would we be?

Well according to latest FIFA rankings http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html USA are 13th and England are 17th so arguably USA are better than England at the moment. If you look at how the co-officients are calculated, whilst by no means 100% perfect, I think this is a fair reflection.

If America was serious about Football and made it a college sport along side American Football, Basketball, Baseball and Ice Hockey, and awarded scholarships based on Football I could see them being top six and potential World Cup Semi Finalists in 9-13 years time but that would require a change in the American mindset about how Football is perceived, is it still classed as "A Game for Girls" over there?

Back to Premier League viewing in Thailand, if you have a Smartphone or a Tablet with you and get an AIS SIM card you can download AIS BPL app for free then 199 Baht / Month to watch all games and repeats, it also applies on PAYG packages, it only applies to AIS.

Sunderland v Arsenal game was a good match to watch as a neutral, Ozil showed his class 2 assists but Atkinson blew it big time at 1-2 when Sunderland scored a legitimate equaliser and he called it back for a free kick, what a tosser.

As for United, dire, Young is an embarrassment and a disgrace and hopefully thats the last time he starts this season They laboured for 45 minutes against 10 men of a promoted team and only managed a second goal from a set piece. The only highlight for me was Moyse giving Adan Januzaj his first Premier League appearance he did more in his 20 minutes on the field than Young and Valencia have managed in the previous 3.75 games.

I was lucky to see him play in the Reserve team on many occasions earlier this year when I was in the UK for a few months and he was head and shoulders above the rest, quite ironic he got his Premier League debut 50 years to the day that George Best made his debut against West Brom or the fact he was played on the left as substitute exactly the same as an unknown Christiano Ronaldo did in 2003 against Bolton as an 18 year old.

I do rate him that highly, that boy was born to play football.

Sunderland v Arsenal game was a good match to watch as a neutral, Ozil showed his class 2 assists but Atkinson blew it big time at 1-2 when Sunderland scored a legitimate equaliser and he called it back for a free kick, what a tosser.

As for United, dire, Young is an embarrassment and a disgrace and hopefully thats the last time he starts this season They laboured for 45 minutes against 10 men of a promoted team and only managed a second goal from a set piece. The only highlight for me was Moyse giving Adan Januzaj his first Premier League appearance he did more in his 20 minutes on the field than Young and Valencia have managed in the previous 3.75 games.

I was lucky to see him play in the Reserve team on many occasions earlier this year when I was in the UK for a few months and he was head and shoulders above the rest, quite ironic he got his Premier League debut 50 years to the day that George Best made his debut against West Brom or the fact he was played on the left as substitute exactly the same as an unknown Christiano Ronaldo did in 2003 against Bolton as an 18 year old.

I do rate him that highly, that boy was born to play football.

i also was glad to see Januzaj get on the pitch.

seen a bit of him over the last couple of seasons as he worked his way through the ranks and was one of the better performers on the pre-season tour.

loved his attitude and willingness to have a go on his big day.

agree that Young and Valencia are not performing at all so far this season,how often are they getting the ball and doing fuck-all with it?.

Utd are still looking a bit lacking with ideas upfront at the moment but that will come after they get used to the way Moyes wants them to play,but then again not that much needs tinkering.

an interesting week or so coming up with Leverkusan,City and Liverpool in 3 different competitions.

but things are not so bad as i've just watched Chelsea lose at Everton..... :grinyes:

This is gonna sound arrogant and too bold but I think if America took up the sport where our best athletes played it as much as the top 3, we'd be a top 3-5 team consistently and seen eventually in the Brazil-Germany-Spain level or slightly below.

I'm trying to be objective but when you have a country of 300 million people with some of the world's best athletes already and pretty much dominates any sport they are heavily involved (although baseball and american football are not global). Combine with the amount of money and scientific and medical ability with already the best sports medicine on the planet. Its almost a given I think. 15 percent of America already latin so the flair is available. Our best athletes are largely blacks (american football and basketball) and we don't play the sport. Although its a different skill set and even size to 'football' there are plenty of people who can get the skill set and have the athleticism. I think its almost a given. The global sports we are involved in, we are already top or near the top in. We don't dominate all the time (men's tennis) but even arguably the best footballing country historically, Brazil went from 1970 to 1994 with only 1 semi and 1 final in 24 years. Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal of all went 20 year stretches with no title. I think we would have a combination of power, pace and skill.