Football Season 2013-2014

Zaad

And about time too IMHO, he has looked totally out of his depth at United. Even Martinez is showing him up at Everton taking basically what was Moyes team and getting them to perform better. I don't think Moyes is a bad manager but not a top manager, the likes of Newcastle, Southampton and Aston Villa is more his level.

The timing was what I expected, after defeat to Everton Sunday it is now mathematically impossible to qualify for the Champions League and I am sure that there was some clause in his contract that failure to qualify was grounds for termination of contract with a lesser pay off.

It is not just Giggs taking over for the rest of the Season also Nicky Butt (that should plug a gap), Butt has been United's Reserve team Manager for the past 18 months or so he knows the youth players better than anyone.

As for next season who knows.

Jurgen Klopp would be my choice but he seems committed to Borussia Dortmund so probably a no hope

Second Diego Simeone, he has taken Atletico Madrid to the Semi Finals of the Champions League and they currently sit at the top of La Ligue ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona

Third would be Laurent Blanc, he spent 2 seasons at united a Decade ago had 3 years managing Bordeaux a couple of years as French National Team Manager and now doing well in his first year at PSG.

Fourth Louis van Gaal, not a long term replacement due to his age but his track record is unquestionable, League Championship Winning Manager in Netherlands, Spain and Germany, UEFA cup winner, Champions League Winner and out of contract with Netherlands national team after the World Cup.

Manchester United have to go for one of those four, and I think that it will be van Gaal for about 3 Seasons to steady the ship so to speak then had over the reigns to Jurgen Klopp one he has realised he has taken Borussia Dortmund as far as he can.

As for Moyes, well I hear that Nick Farange of UKIP has offered his a position to run in the next election in UK, after all he has done a fine job of staying out of Europe.

• 3 weeks later...

Exciting season. For the first time in a while any number of clubs could have won the title. Next season could be the most contentous in many years.

City would have to be the favorites. The most money, biggest squad. Doesn't need much tweaking. Chelsea will be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho overhauls the squad. It was obvious he was disappointed in how the team responded. Depending on how much he overhauls he will need time to gel new players and if too many changes will need most of the first half of the season.

Liverpool are a quandry. Some think its a one off season like how they finished runner up a few years ago. They will certainly strengthen. CL money will help their transfer kitty. Rumor is RM is looking to get Suarez and will send Benzema to Arsenal to help defray the cost. If Suarez goes its dicey for Rodgers. It could easily be a Spurs situation where you lose the most key player and your buys do not gel or pan out. If he stays they will simply buy better at key positions and get a bigger squad. They, like Arsenal with Giroud, were very lucky that Suarez stayed relatively healthy. Its asking for too much to do that a second straight season but Sturridge is very good and has not gotten the credit he deserves. BIg question is will Liverpool challenge again?

My beloved Arsenal. "Shirley" Wenger can not fvck up 3 straight transfer windows? Getting a striker is obvious and there are some big names that keep popping up. We have the money. We also need a defensive center mid and possibly a RB with Sagna probably going. I hate to see him go. He's a solid player. We may also need a 3rd defender with Vermaelen probably out the door as well as a left side midfielder. If Arsenal wins the FA Cup and I expect us to I think it will be massive for belief. The players have never lifted a trophy at the club and this will whet their apetites for more. Also, we finished 'only" 7 points from top. In most years that is runner up, 3rd at worst. I think had we gotten a top striker he would have been good for 6 points. Injuries hurt us as well but with everyone back next season and new buys it will be the best Arsenal side since '05.

Man Utd. Huge questions. van Gaal is who most assume is coming. Man Utd will buy and buy big. A creative center mid/playmaker, "quarterback" to borrow an American term is an obvious. Some say its Fabregas. God forbid!! Cesc is no manc, he's a gooner. Only way he comes is if Barca kicks him out and no other takers. Another possibility is Modric who Man Utd wanted when he was at Tottenham. Other names will surely be tossed about. Where will Man Utd finish? Man Utd will bounce back but when? My guess is top 3 next season if they get a good manager and new players. Can't see Mourinho and Pelligrini not finishing top 2 unless either Arsenal or Liverpool get their acts together.

Interesting stat that rules our Arsenal and Man Utd for the title. No club has ever won the EPL (not the old 1st division) without finishing at least 3rd the season prior. So, either City, Chelsea or Liverpool will win the title.

Everton are a marvel and Martinez is doing a great job. They need more players and a bigger squad and they don't have the money. Getting 4th would have gotten them about 30 mil.

Another interesting stat that will put a smile on gooners faces. Tottenham has finished above every EPL club the last 5 years except Arsenal.

• Like 2

And your point is what exactly? :neener:

First off, Congratulations to Arsene for equalling the monumental achievements of Harry Redknapp and Alex McLeish in winning one domestic cup in 10 years. To achieve this against all odds, and against the mighty Hull is some feat! This of course, banishes eternally the argument that he can't win against big teams and the 6-3, 6-0 and 5-1 defeats are forgotten!

I have a quote for you all: "There are two trophies. One is the league and the other is the Champions League. When you go to sign players they do not ask "how did you perform in the FA Cup?"

Who said this? Arsene Wenger did!

Then there's the assertion that winning the FA Cup will attract top signings. (Yet , I thought the 4th place trophy was supposed to attract the best?). When will Xavi be having his medical at Wigan then? They won it last year didn't they?

A club with a wage bill over £150mil a year, a manager that's earned over £60mil in wages these last 9 years and the most expensive ticket prices in Europe...and the FA Cup is being celebrated like it was the World Cup itself! Look well done for winning it.

This in the grand panorama though, changes nothing at all. Wenger isn't good enough, and all he's managed to do is finally match Wigan 'a achievements (Wigan beat a serious team in the final too).

So with all due respect: if a FA Cup win is the elixir, does this mean you accept that Portsmouth and Wigan had been more successful teams than Arsenal until Saturday?

Worst kept secret in Football LVG appointed as next Manchester United Manager on a 3 year contract toady, Giggs has retired from professional football and will be LVG's assistant

Ggigs career, 23 years a first team player, 963 appearances, 168 goals, 13 Premier Leagues, 4 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 9 Community Shields, 2 EUFA Champions Leagues, 1 EUFA Super Cup, 1 Intercontinental Cup and 1 FIFA Club World Club.