Exemption

Mekong

My 17 year old Brother in Law has to make to trip to Lampung his home province tomorrow for some paperwork.

Now due to the age difference between himself and my wife and I we are often mistaken as his parents and sometimes we do treat him as a kid but he is a good lad and will anything for us and the feeling is reciprocal.

I was worried he had his conscription papers for national service but no, he has been awarded his exemption papers because he is starting uni. Yes I am financing it, I am the farang but not a frigging hi-so uni just a basic Thai uni bit thats all that matters. My mother in law was all over me today, you have saved him from the army, I was like Mom he is my little brother do you think I would allow him to be conscripted. We will have a party this weekend.

This is part of Thai society not well known to outsiders but based upon Social / Ecconomical background any 17-18 year old boy can be conscripted against his will, if you are from a well off family you have no worries but if you are a poor rice farmer you will get a gun shoved in your hand and four years against your will in the military.

Now I am no bloody hero, just looking out for my wives baby brother but it really is a sad part of Thai society where the least fortunate are abused and taken advantage of, the longer I spend here the less I like what I am seeing. I can't change anything will never be allowed a vote so can only look out for my own relatives, but as I said the more I see and understand about this country the less i like it.

I don't know if he is saved, just deferred. Probably keep him out though, since not many are conscripted these days. (The Thai military only uses it to make up the shortage of volunteers.)

If he is smart, he should go into the reserve officer programme. Finish it and you receive a commission and go straight into the inactive reserve. That was a surprise to me when my students told me. In the US you finish ROTC with a commission and automatically go on active duty. Here ROTC is a way to avoid having to serve! :p

My youngest brother in law finished college this year and he had to sign up for his drawing date for the army.

He was given a date to show up, but as him and my mother in law were leaving the office,she was told for a small fee he would draw a black ball I think it is meaning he does not have to go.

My mother in law said we are a poor family. Man said you have falang son in law right?

She said he is poor also. and walked out the door.

Me I'm thinking my brother in law is screwed now.

Well drawing date came and he drew black. No service required.

So last month he joined the local temple as his way of thanking Buddaha. Of course we paid for the 3 day party and I made sure my wife was there for that.

As I understand it, you report and everyone reaches into a container with mostly black balls but with some white ones mixed in. Draw a white ball and you are inducted. It is a one time thing. If luck is with you, you never have to serve. Also, conscripts are divided between the army, navy and the air farce. The majority go into the army, which means automatic combat arms (infantry or artillery). You don't want to be a conscript, since your pay is ridiculously low - basically only pocket money. Volunteers get far better pay, which is reason enough for a poor village kid to sign up and get it over with. Army conscripts also tend to get sent to places like Yala and Pattani! The Navy and RTAF goes have it much easier.

As I understand it, you report and everyone reaches into a container with mostly black balls but with some white ones mixed in. Draw a white ball and you are inducted. It is a one time thing. If luck is with you, you never have to serve. Also, conscripts are divided between the army, navy and the air farce. The majority go into the army, which means automatic combat arms (infantry or artillery). You don't want to be a conscript, since your pay is ridiculously low - basically only pocket money. Volunteers get far better pay, which is reason enough for a poor village kid to sign up and get it over with. A

sounds like a good reason to bring a black ball along

Well I give my brother in law credit. He knew he had to sign up for the drawing date and he went without any issues.

He's quiet and laid back.

Good kid, well young man.

Likes his soceer and is a bass player in a Thai rock band. Local area.

He did his drawing that day, I think he said there were about 20 in the room that day and about 4 I think he said got the wrong ball so to speak.

Archived