Isaan Food

think_too_mut

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spice Man, the name says it all, it stinks, really stinks, but oddly quite nice, my Taiwan boss who was a vegetarian used to take me to tofu restaurants all the time in Taiwan, was impressed I liked it, Taiwan equivalent of a farang loving Som Tum Palaar or similar.

The veggie restaurants are nuts, you get fake "fish" "Steak" "Chicken" that have taste and texture (attempted mostly) of the meat they are, I mean if your a vegetarian why eat fake meat?

The Santi Asoke Buddhist sect are strict vegetarians and eat only one meal a day. They had - may still have - a fantastic veg restaurant at Chatuchak. There was every kind of Thai food you can think of, all veg and ridiculously cheap. Since it is the spices that give Thai food its flavour, you hardly could tell the difference in the curries etc. There was even satay and other traditional meat dishes. I haven't been there in years, but I used to go now and then with my old neighbour (a vegetarian). Munchie would have loved it, since the fruit was all free. Just help yourself. :)

The Santi Asoke members dress in simple farmer clothes. That is one way to tell. Think of Chamlong Srimuang. When he was elected governor of Bangkok, he refused to accept the salary, saying he didn't need it. (He has a general's pension.) He also slept on a plain mat on the floor at home and he and his wife had renounced sexual stuff. (Being on a higher plain ... :rolleyes: .)

The Whole Earth in Chiang Mai is quite good, though I see it now also has non-veg dishes. The Whole Earth in Bangkok was not as good the few times I ate there.

http://www.wholeeart...t.com/about.php

p.s. Given a choice, I'll go veg. But I am basically an omniore (except for beef and ducks). :dunno:

think_too_mut

That meal looks very delicious. Did the catfish take some of the flavor from the steamed vegetables?

And such a big dish of prik nam bplaa!

What I remember, it was delicious. Wife picked good parts, then dipped into the hot sauce and that was it.

I could tell it was a freshwater fish with some aroma, perhaps from the veggies it was cooked with.

• 2 weeks later...

A party behind the house, Isaan style.

t3602005laokhao01.jpg

The noodles are not Isaan specific.

Grilled pork (bottom left), more fat than anything. Nam prik next to it.

"Thai olives", dipped into mix of chillies, salt, sugar.

From the bottle of lao khao, like 11th hour on the clock are field beans, look similar to smallish and oval maroons.

Head to Houston, Ned and Ott (the Ol' Silver Dollar owners) have a Thai restaurant there...I

think the name is something like Khao Naam ???

I heard recently that Ned and his wife took over the restaurant in Jomtien Beach from his brother Ted. Moonshine Joint. Was there a few times the past year when Ted was still there. I will check it out soon to see what's up. I usually stay further down the road now at Eddie's place on Soi 9. Richman Poorman. Good rooms across from the beach at good rates. Good food as well in their restaurant.

Cent

Archived