The Changing Of The Guard On Lower Suk ....

gobbledonk

I remember I was quite surprised to find that a UK gallon was different from a US gallon. It took me some digging to find out why.

"Both the Imperial and United States customary systems of measurement derive from earlier English systems used in the Middle Ages, which were the result of a combination of the local Anglo-Saxon units inherited from Germanic tribes and Roman units brought by William the Conqueror after the Norman Conquest in 1066.

"Having this shared heritage, the two systems are quite similar, but there are differences. The US customary system is based on English systems of the 18th century, while the Imperial system was defined in 1824, after American independence."

So ironically the American measurements are the older ones. :p

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why I prefer the SI units of measurement, all in base 10 to begin with.

1 Liter of pure water (S.G. 1.00) Weighs 1 Kilogram

10 Meters Water head or depth equals 1 Bar Pressure

So much simpler to work with but I must admit that base 12 in its day was the rule, it is impossible to do navigation / triangulation in base 10, also the world is divided into 360 Degrees with each 15 Degrees equaling one hour time zone difference try working that out in decimal.

OK, I admit the fact that I am geek who finds numbers and conversion units interesting, since grammar school days only three subjects have interested me, Maths, Physics and Chemistry, I don't have the time or inclination to think about History or Literature, no doubt interesting subjects in their own rights but they just don't interest me. Even when I read Lewis Carrol "Alice in Wonderland" I recognised the base 12 jokes and the conundrums offered up and not just some childish fantasy novel.

When this Board started, as nanaplaza.com, Thailand was receiving 11 million tourists a year.

Now it is having 22 million.

Only that difference, 11 million a year more over 12 years period is almost double what Australia is getting any year since then. 5.5 to 6 million Oz gets. Including family visits (for people like me) that may be a half of that,

One would expect people different (and more of them) than what they were back in 2001. to be in that 2 mil tourists visiting Thailand.

"Change of guard" is an observation from 33 thousand feet. Visible from that height.

What I find stranger - In the US they rate cocaine in kg and marijuana in oz.

I'd rather have a Kilo of coke over an ounce of weed any day of the week haha.

I think you will find it is because drugs such as Cocaine come from areas of the world where SI Units rule such as Columbia where as mary jane is a local product or comes in from British Columbia Canada or Mexico hence the imperial units are still applicable.

At street level in the states (So I am informed no personal experience honest governor) coke is still dealt in imperial units, an 8 Ball of coke is a common weight.

For the record my comments are based on hearsay, I never had an 8 Ball / Day coke habit when I lived in Houston. hehe.

Archived