Bribespot Thailand

Boo Radley

Came across this site recently where people post reports of bribes they've paid in Thailand in various scenarios. Hope it's ok to post the link here.

The reports are in a mixture of Thai and English, so both Thais and farangs seem to be reporting their experiences.

The report dated 21/08/13 is interesting. It seems to match in some respects the recent story reported on Nanaplaza of the 2 Italian tourists kidnapped and held to ransom by police with false allegations near Bangkok's Sukhumwit Soi 4.

"Stopped and aggressively searched by police for no reason just after exiting the bts station [Khlong Toei Neua] in the early afternoon on the way to work, they found nothing but a usb drive and then accused us of robbing atms and being drug dealers... initially demanded 50,000 baht for our release after taking us to the police station, but a friend with police contacts helped negotiate down to 20,000"

https://th.bribespot.com

"Stopped and aggressively searched by police for no reason just after exiting the bts station [Khlong Toei Neua] in the early afternoon on the way to work,

https://th.bribespot.com

Boo Radley, I am not shooting the messenger but where the hell is Khlong toei Neua BTS Station? I have travelled the length and breadth of the BTS and I have no recollection of the Skytrain going up Rama IV road unless by miracle they put a line in last night whilst I was sleeping.

Now the MRT (Metro) does go along Rama IV and there is a station at Khlong Toei, but the exits are not labeled North, South, East and West, too complicated for the average Thai, but 1,2,3 & 4.

Now the question that springs to mind is why someone would exit the MRT at Khlong Toei on the north side of Rama IV to go to work in the early afternoon? There is nothing there unless they were to be walking up past Thai Tobacco and onto Sukhumvit Soi 4. Trust me on this, I lived in the area for 7 years and used the station many times, I do know the area very well.

Hi Mekong,

That was my mistake. My bad. I got the name from the map in the link, and put it in brackets to show I added it. It's appears to be the district, not the name of the station. However, although he doesn't explicitly state the station, if you zoom in, the station appears to be Asoke, close to where the Italians had their encounter with the police. :dunno:

Hi Boo,

Not your fault mate an easy mistake to make. Scams at Asoke do not surprise me in the least hence the reason I don't bother with the district anymore.

I am not a Thai apologists, far from it, but nowadays I much prefer going to the predominately Thai districts with my wife and her family than the old "Farang Ghetto's" I used to frequent.

Archived