New Guy

LucasReti

I everyone. I am coming to Thailand in early November. Dont know a whole lot about much when it comes to living there but that's what i plan to do once I have traveled around and found a quite spot to get a little place by the water. Just going to show up with my packback. My company will fly me there each set of days off for my month off. I cant wait bu know I have allot of learning to do.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lucas, welcome to the forum,

Two things I would recommend are a Thick Skin and a sense of humour, never leave home without them.

I don't mean being on this forum, but is sure helps, but living in Thailand as a whole, A lot of things that go on over here would be deemed unacceptable in your home country but you have to remember TIT (This is Thailand) and go with the flow. How on earth I have not had a mental breakdown or become an alcoholic over the years (OK I did but went through detox) is beyond me, you will need to count to 10 or more probably 20, realise OK TIT and accept the fact.

If there is one trait that i think that I share with other long term expats its how we can just sit back, smile and laugh.

Best of luck mate.

Hi Lucas and welcome,

Get ready for the ride :grinyes: Now get thinking up all those questions to ask now and later once you've started to get a little wet. They might have been asked a bazillion times before but we all enjoy reading and adding to them with the latest twists. Oh, and KS will thank you for driving up the site traffic HA HA!

Cheers

Buddy, don't listen to anyone saying "TiT" (This is Thailand).

Those have never understood Asia, Asian values and priorities.

What you can do, nail down your possessions before leaving(real estate, bank accounts so that does not go down as your fascination goes up soon on) and then slid into the warm bath called Thailand.

Buddy, don't listen to anyone saying "TiT" (This is Thailand).

Those have never understood Asia, Asian values and priorities.

What you can do, nail down your possessions before leaving(real estate, bank accounts so that does not go down as your fascination goes up soon on) and then slid into the warm bath called Thailand.

TTM,

Whilst I agree with your sentiments I do disagree with your comments, I left the UK at 24 and am now nearly 50 all of the time based in Asia, so please don't try to patronise me or build your own ego by saying that "I Don't Understand Asia"

TIT was coined before you could even find Thailand in a Dictionary let alone on a map, it a a comment used by expats to compare how things work in SE Asia, and in this instance Thailand, compared to their home countries, yes it is often used tongue in cheek a somewhat self deprivation comment about life here.

The OP never asked about financial risks, yet for some reason you bring it up, glad to see we have an expert on board.

TTM, I do like you as a person, I realise you are earning a decent living and best off all your Daughter is getting a musical education, but you are not Yoda, the Mr "Know it all" and neither an I, could you just take a step back occasionally?

Asia is not understood by the CEOs of World class companies and their minions in Asia.

Just remember how Google got self-booted out of China. They made it kind of "In the name of freedom" but could not admit their search engine is rubbish when it comes to dual byte records (kanji). They left out of their own inferiority, Baidu (China's Google) superiority.

Still, I maintain whoever has ever said or muttered "TIT" has no clue where they are. Be it you or not.

I don't know what you can do with your opinion on what you know about Asia, I took mine to the bank.

Now, promoted, due to my understanding of Asia, to look after all Japan West (Nagoya, Osaka) that make with no resources (other than human brain) 3 times more than Australia or 2 times Canada + Russia.

Archived