New Guy

LucasReti

Do NOT bring your brain, whatever these guys say. Bringing that thing is like bringing your fiancee - sooner or later you'll find that it's just a lump of flesh that needs feeding and protection from the elements. Cut the gray matter loose before you get on that plane, and then just let your body lead you... down... down.... into the Chinese finger-trap of farang life in Thailand: the more you fight it, the more you think, the tighter its hold on you. Really, chances that you will emerge from Thailand a better man, richer for the experience and enthused about your own character? Fucking slim.

And no backpacks. Ever. Get yourself a couple of tidy suitcases and accept - no, dictate - that there will never, ever be a need for you to actually WALK any distance of any significance carrying your stuff while in this part of the world. Torch the backpack, join AA as a preemptive strike, and prepare to explore your darker sides -- how much can you take, how much can you ignore?

When in doubt, when the universe seems to have abandoned reason altogether and the choice of the road going forward is shrouded in mystery, go with the pad krapao gai. On rice, with a fried egg.

YimSiam

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you know what else? I'm going to throw out a little piece of information that I know you can't absorb at the moment - not even for a few years - but still: maybe you will, or maybe you'll store it away for eventual consideration. Here it is:

If there is even the slightest indication that a young woman in the bar/entertainment/English-speaking scene is a post-op transsexual, she almost certainly is. They are everywhere, improving their mimicry on an almost daily basis, and at times virtually indistinguishable to the foreign eye. Once you start to see it, oho... the doubt takes root, the is-she-or-isn't-she fungal infection envelopes your brain... Assuming you've brought it. I say leave it at home, and never you mind that she's slipping in and out of the toilet the whole night she's in your room, that she's got a fake nose and implants and farmhand feet, that she seems - no, could it be? - to be subtly but persistently guiding you around towards the back door... and is able to instantly conjure a bottle of baby oil from thin air, should the need arise...

Oh, and stay away from the Christian churches. Buildings are full of ghosts, whole families haunting the pews. Don't say I didn't warn you...

Thanks for all the advice everyone!. I defiantly want to get my affairs squared away in canada. I sold my houses years ago and just have a loan on a fifth wheel and a vehicle and few toys that are paid for. So I plan on claiming non resident of canada since I will not really be there much. I guess I need a tax accountant and laywer to make sure everything is taken care of. I am getting a bank account with Barclays in the UK and getting rid of my one in canada along with the health insurance so I can claim non resident. not sure what all else I gotta do yet. besides research the crap out of how to get around and communicate once i'm there. any advice.

And you know what else? I'm going to throw out a little piece of information that I know you can't absorb at the moment - not even for a few years - but still: maybe you will, or maybe you'll store it away for eventual consideration. Here it is:

If there is even the slightest indication that a young woman in the bar/entertainment/English-speaking scene is a post-op transsexual, she almost certainly is. They are everywhere, improving their mimicry on an almost daily basis, and at times virtually indistinguishable to the foreign eye. Once you start to see it, oho... the doubt takes root, the is-she-or-isn't-she fungal infection envelopes your brain... Assuming you've brought it. I say leave it at home, and never you mind that she's slipping in and out of the toilet the whole night she's in your room, that she's got a fake nose and implants and farmhand feet, that she seems - no, could it be? - to be subtly but persistently guiding you around towards the back door... and is able to instantly conjure a bottle of baby oil from thin air, should the need arise...

Oh, and stay away from the Christian churches. Buildings are full of ghosts, whole families haunting the pews. Don't say I didn't warn you...

Yes I have heard of this. I dont plan on going to night clubs and getting myself in a situation I cant get out of and I have to figure out how to tell the shemales no

Hi,

"besides research the crap out of how to get around and communicate once i'm there. any advice."

Getting around in Bangkok is very easy. Skytrain and subway cover a good amount of the places you are likely to visit, taxis are cheap.

Learn the language! If you plan on staying here for an extended period of time being able to speak the language will make a huge difference. No need to be fluent, probably no need to read & write either, but try to at least get some rudimentary knowledge of the language (things like giving/asking for directions, ordering food, etc).

Sanuk!

Hi,

"besides research the crap out of how to get around and communicate once i'm there. any advice."

Getting around in Bangkok is very easy. Skytrain and subway cover a good amount of the places you are likely to visit, taxis are cheap.

Learn the language! If you plan on staying here for an extended period of time being able to speak the language will make a huge difference. No need to be fluent, probably no need to read & write either, but try to at least get some rudimentary knowledge of the language (things like giving/asking for directions, ordering food, etc).

Sanuk!

Once again I find myself nodding my head in agreement with KS. If you intend to be here long term then learning the language is a must, and I don't mean Bargirl Thai either.

I don't profess to speak fluent Thai, Fark I struggle enough with English my native tongue, but a little understanding goes a long way, simple things such as having a joke with the cashier at the local Family Mart, being able to negotiate down the local market, having a conversation whilst travelling up 17 floors in my condo block rather than the shy ignorance, simple little things that make the whole difference.

This may give you an idea of housing, since it even short term often beats hotel prices. You can do better with long term. I pay 8,000 baht a month for a 2 bedroom, 3 bathroom house in Bangkok's northern suburbs. Money goes a lot farther here, and never forget that. What seems cheap at home may well be expensive here.

http://www.companyvauban.com/en/property/bangkok/short-term-rental.html

Archived