Sat Nav In Thailand - Proprietary And App Versions Please

torrenova

Driving to unknown areas in LOS or even navigating through large towns after some time away often leads to stress and arguments. Now I have ipads, iphones, Android phones and Android tablets. I would also consider either a Thailand map upgrade for a Tom Tom 1005 I have or even buy a sat nav and leave it behind after my visit.

Ideas, options, usefulness and issues please.

For a non-dedicated GPS device (Android tablet) you would need Internet access. A pocket router is 1,500B and 4GB package (1 month to consume it) is 890B.

However, it is unreliable while the car is moving, more "no connection" than connected. And 4GB may be spent in a week.

iPhone should do that but I suppose you have to be in contract with Thai mobile operator or in roaming (that may cost a lot) to use GPS service.

A dedicated device, I think I paid for Garmin Nuvi 8,000B with Thai map loaded in the shop while I was waiting.

If you already have the device, Thai map should be 130$ or so from their site. Some find it cheaper or even free on the net.

Tom Tom or Garmin are almost always connected and blackouts don't happen often, not even in tunnels.

I have a Garmin.

Quite satisfied.

I do get backouts on occasion; under the BTS, airport parking building, etc.

Not 100% but close enough.

Even after all the years I have been driving in LOS, I still would not leave home without. The stupid/crazy road networks in

LOS leave much to be desired, IMO.

Personally i find the Sat Nav apps on smartphones more than adequate but as TTM rightly points out you have to watch out for the cost of the Data usage. Fortunately being Thai based I do have a Post-Paid account which allows 3GB / Month data download at 3G speed then slows down to 2G / GPRS. I have never gone over my limit since 90% of places I go to have free WiFi and using a mobile as a Sat Nav does not consume much D/L data.

I have also used my smartphone in Singapore, UK, Spain, Italy on pre paid packages and the cost was next to nothing for Sat-Nav use and I have not got lost yet, after all I am at home posting this.

Yes, if the tablet has that minor (no joking, it is a minor thing) thing to beacon to the US Military satellite (free for all) and it beacons back with the coordinates.

Then whatever GPS equipment you have, it works. The trick is - what kind of maps you have locally to use that information.

That is where Garmin and Tom Tom come into place: they do only that. No tweaking, no positioning in the car, always works.

its always good to have gps in order not to miss the 'bypass to isan' up saraburi way lol :p

on topic how many feels it's ok to 'bypass' red lights e.g. pretending to do left in those small junctions with no side traffic and then continue another left i.e. straight vs. other offences e.g. speeding or lane changing without caution, tailgating etc??

saves some considerate time & frustrations (come on how slow does the fast lane have to get going after a red damn!)

Yes, if the tablet has that minor (no joking, it is a minor thing) thing to beacon to the US Military satellite (free for all) and it beacons back with the coordinates.

Then whatever GPS equipment you have, it works. The trick is - what kind of maps you have locally to use that information.

That is where Garmin and Tom Tom come into place: they do only that. No tweaking, no positioning in the car, always works.

The tablet beacons the satellite. That's novel, how's it do that? Got a link?

Archived