Loan sharks attack home of debtor over failed payments

The Nation August 31, 2013 1:00 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WssWCoC4fJ4

CCTV footage of attack

Two men injured in apparent aggressive reaction to two missed instalments

Bang Khen police in Bangkok were searching for a group of men, thought to be working for loan sharks, who attacked a borrower's home in Sai Mai district late on Thursday and wounded two people in the process for failure to repay a high-interest loan.

The group was led by a man known as "Keng" from the neighbouring precinct of Sai Mai, said Bang Khen police chief Pol Colonel Chayut Marayart.

He said evidence was being gathered to secure arrest warrants for the attackers, whose vicious attack was caught on surveillance cameras, broadcast on television and distributed via social-media sites.

Two men living in the house were knifed and beaten by the attackers - all armed with machetes and metal pipes and seen arriving in a pickup truck.

A home-made bomb was thrown into the house before they raided the compound and smashed belongings, including three motorcycles. The men then fled.

The unnamed borrower, a dessert vendor, said she took out a Bt20,000 loan with an agreement to pay back Bt24,000 at Bt1,000 per day for 24 days. The loan included the illegally high interest of Bt4,000. However, she missed payments for two days after she needed money for the treatment of her sick mother.

The borrower said a text message was sent to her mobile phone from a loan-shark member saying "Do you dare me?" about one hour before the attack.

The two victims were the borrower's husband and an adult relative, who are among five residents living at the borrower's residence.

Justice Minister Chaikasem Nitisiri said he had ordered the Department of Special Investigation and the Anti-Money-Laundering Office to start taking action through a parallel investigation with Bang Khen police.

The Rights and Liberties Protection Department said yesterday that it would also help the borrower's family with the case.

http://www.nationmul...m-30213803.html

http://www.dailynews...h/crime/229915#

That's why a somtam vendor in the soi at my old residence did a runner. She had foolishly borrowed money at a ridiculous rate for her children's school expenses. After several months she found herself owing at least double what she had borrowed. I help her out some, but no way I was going to pay off the entire debt. When the goons came around to threaten her again, she packed up and disappeared upcountry. I couldn't blame her.

I guess when you're poor, you're not left with much choice and can get desperate and go to a loan shark.

There was an update today, with the suspects now under police arrest. Wonder why the police acted in this instance and caught the guys so quickly? Maybe because the video went viral in Thailand, even appearing on the news, they were compelled to act, even for a food vendor without connections.

Loan gang paid with drugs

djF3Lmy.jpg

The Nation September 2, 2013 1:00 am

Ten young men caught on video breaking down a fence to enter the house of a loan shark customer and injuring two occupants in Sai Mai in Bangkok last Thursday told police they were paid with drugs and booze to collect debts.

Pol Lt Gen Camronwit Toopgrajank, chief of Metropolitan Police, told a press conference yesterday that the 10 suspects, including the 18-year-old alleged leader, had turned themselves in to Bang Khen police on Saturday night along with the Toyota Vigo pickup truck, Yamaha Spark motorcycle and some baseball clubs that they had used in the raid.

They were charged with trespassing at night, causing property damage, assaulting people and charging excessive loan rates.

The gang leader told police that he lent Bt20,000 to the sweets vendor at 20 per cent interest. The vendor agreed to repay him Bt1,000 per day for 24 days. After 11 days she negotiated him down to Bt500 a day, to which he agreed, but then she stopped after a few instalments. He got angry and attacked her relatives.

http://www.nationmul...s-30213905.html

Archived