When Are You Too Old To Learn Thai?

SpiceMan

The only scientificaly proven thing about bilingual (or multi lingual) kids is: they know how to set the priorities, whom to listen to, who to ignore, and what is of interest at that moment. That kind of prioritization other (single language) kids have to learn. Can be learned, management schools have that training about priorities.

But for what cause?

My point is, a well formed kid in 1 language and can go further. The ability to absorb another language, ceases at the age of 8 (some papers say at 10).

Just by having a Thai wife and kids to her, does not make an idila that the kid would be able to roam around with native languages. Far from that.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I started studying Thai at age 58 and am now a younger 68. It's good for you.

I made two big break throughs in Thailand because of it. The first was when I met a group of fun-loving Thai tourist girls on Beach Rd, Pattaya. I was just developing a little ability to speak Thai. A cute 21 yr old took a liking to me and wanted me to go visit her home in Issan and so I did and it was a fine experience. I didn't allow a relationship to start as the girl wanted to get married and have a family, so she should look for a better man than me. Nonetheless, I got to spend a nice month with her and got a very nice look at Issan - all because I could speak a bit of Thai.

The second BIG break through was about two years ago when I started texting women in Thai. It's a great way to set up dates and they're very impressed because it's they've never seen anything like it. That's the bit about showing respect for people and their culture. It can also make someone who's kind of dumb look really smart.

And yes, you have to learn how to read a little in order to speak. Otherwise you are just guessing at sounds - was that daw dek or dtaw dtaow? Mixing them up doesn't work. A lot of the time I have to see it written and then I know what I'm trying to say. Thai women are always happy to write things out for me.

I'm self-taught with tapes and computer lessons, my study is hit and miss, my memory is nothing special but I'm always trying to learn and I've gotten a lot out of it.

It wasn't until I started reading Thai that I realised what bad pronunciation my Peace Corps language instructors had let us get away with. I discovered just how many words I had been butchering! PC taught us only the basics of writing, and then it was up to you to go further. Most vols didn't bother, which explained some of the atrocious mistakes I heard people make. By all means, learn to read.

• 5 weeks later...

This is just personal opinion - so take it for that. Any effort is good effort, and from the Thais I know - appreciated. Horrendous pronunciation or not (but the better you can speak, the better they can understand, 'tis a given).

If you say fuck all, you can probably get by in Bangkok same as a tourist, and if you're happy with that... by all means. But, with minimal effort you can master 'some' of the language, unless you have some sort of disability or whatever. And then hey, I'm not judging.

But fuck trying. Learn something , or don't. Don't 'try' and do shit.

All I know is - as easy as it is to get laid in Thailand, I got laid a hell of a lot easier exponentially by a much wider range of women once i had just a minimal grasp of the language. Plus, it makes life more interesting... unless you want to be the asshole falang elitist.

Regardless, the answer to your post as to 'when?'

when = death.

comprendez amigo??????

• 4 weeks later...

I will tag onto this thread rather than start a new one, when is one too old to learn Vietnamese when one already has fundamental Thai?

NOW

I have been here 3 months now and can just about count up to 5, know Left and Right plus the usual pleasantry's (Hello, Please, Thank you etc) but that is as far as I am going to go, as long as I can walk into a bar say Hello order 5 beers Please for me an by buddies get the check bin, which is a universal saying is Asia also supported with mime of mimicking holding a piece of paper in one hand and scribbling doodles with the other, say thank you and good night and tell the taxi driver the direction home, sorted.

There are many words in Vietnamese identical to Thai words but a totally different meaning, for example naam in Thai means water in Vietnamese it means Man, but it is quite useful, whereas in Thailand I would ask "Hong Naam Thi Nai na khrup" for where is the bathroom in Vietnam I just make a "busting for a piss face" whilst pointing at my crotch and say Naam meaning Man, they get the message.

It is the difference in pronunciation of "Romanic Script" Thai and Vietnamese that I find confusing, take the City only a couple of hours from where I am and occasionally visit Hai Phong, The Hai bit is the same pronounced the same "Hi" where as the Phong in Thai, since there is no PH = F Sound would be pronounce similar to Pong, where as in Vietnamese they do have the PH sound but the G is silent so it is more like Hi Fon.

So, my New Years resolution is to give in trying to learn Vietnamese and teach the buggers some English.

Strangely enough in tourist area, Hanoi, HCMC (I'd get shot if I called it Saigon up here in the North) and Da Nang a lot of people now speak Thai, since ASEAN open borders is just over 12 months away and AEC kicks in "The Party" has had a major drive on teaching Thai and some of them have actually got up to my fundamental level, sounds like the opening line of a bad joke "An English man and a Vietnamese Lady in Da Nang were discussing in Thai....." as surreal as it may seem this is what happens.

For all you naysayers and cynics who never believe what I say here is a month old article from the nation http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Vietnamese-jumping-at-chance-to-learn-Thai-prior-t-30220478.html

PS Note to Flash, They are rather more accommodating towards westerners nowadays compared to your first visit, but the roads and infrastructure are probably the same.

Archived