When Are You Too Old To Learn Thai?

SpiceMan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is rather over the top in terms of politeness.

Why would you answer: "Yes Sir" to someone asking if you are fine?

Besides, it is kinda short.

Thais dont expect that answer and think about it. If you asked me: How are you today, are you fine? And I replied with a mere "yes".

That is a bit of a conversation killer :)

I only ever use this expression when being ironic/sarcastic in a humourus way. By being overly polite with someone you don`t really agree with, I find that this term works well.

The "face saving" thing is throughout Asia.

Don't do what you are not good at. Including attempts to speak the local language and be bad at that.

Even the doyens of Thai boards would say "Thais would appreciate your effort to speak their language". That's bullshit.Thais worth talking to would already speak English.

Imagine speaking mickeymouse Thai in a professional environment?

The real question is - when you can dedicate time and money to learn it properly.

Kevin Rudd, Australian PM 2 times, speaks fluent Mandarin. How? Is he more clever than us? No, he went to a full time school for diplomats, paid by me and the other Oz tax payers, and he learned it there, not at his expense.

A public figure, Stickman, went to a full time school for 8-9-12 months, depending where you read it. But still a full time language school. That just confirms my point: if it is worth doing, do it properly.

Picking Thai here and there, might make you attractive to the tattooed alcoholics upcountry who would bring you to a drinking party (most likely, you pay) and tap your shoulder and saying "My farang, it can speak Thai" and look good among the likes.

Hi,

"Thais worth talking to would already speak English."

What a load of bullshit.

There is also no need to go to a school and spend a year full-time learning the language. I've only done a short stint of about 20hrs to improve my reading a few years back, yet I speak Thai every single day. At home, at work (including with those professionals you speak about many of whom don't speak English nearly as well as you might think), in restaurants, with taxi drivers, etc etc.

And being able to speak Thai makes a HUGE difference when living here.

Sanuk!

Makes no difference at all, the bullshit is on your side.

Doing something properly requires a proper training. A year of training.

Back in 2011, Xmas day, I was called and asked to take a role of a manager for South East Asia, based in Bangkok. With no Thai language attached. Declined it. Why would I go to that irrelevant place?

Don't speak Japanese other than basic, still got my job enlarged, just now, to cover the area that makes 3 trillion dollars a year with no resources. Just human brain and making things.

They don't need more Japanese speakers, they need people who know the job.

Now, should I learn Thai? Never, the benefit is that my wife speaks reasonable English and our daughter speaks English as a native language + Thai and Japanese with no accent.

Don't speak Japanese other than basic, still got my job enlarged, just now, to cover the area that makes 3 trillion dollars a year with no resources. Just human brain and making things.

Hahaha 3 Trillion my backside

After Walmart $ 469 Billion you have Royal Dutch Shell $ 467 Billion, ExxonMobil $ 453 Billion, CNPC $ 435 Billion, SINOPEC $ 411 Billion, BP $ 370 Billion and Saudi Aramco $ 365 Billion.

You are trying to tell me that some farking Switch Maker makes more profit than the biggest global retailer and the worlds top 6 Oil & Gas Companies, give up the crack mate you are starting to believe your own lies.

Source of Data http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_companies_by_revenue

Archived