When Are You Too Old To Learn Thai?

SpiceMan

Mekong raises an interesting point, on a mostly ICT list but to do with community development the question was asked what technology has contributed the most in the last 30 years to development. Everyone expected the answer to be Comuters, mobiles Web Browser etc.

His point? That was my point. He just bites anything that flies.

What he displays, he is just what Thais think of the individuals like him: a sheepish loking more lost than found mid-age farang man who, to them for unkown reason, came to Thai. And aggressive at that.

Mr Mekong intentionaly speculates about my identity. That is an act that Mods should have sanctioned.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thouhgt that the Flashers post has had stopped it. But attacks have continued. Then, I want to say more.

Stickman, we can assume he speaks a very good Thai. He wrote in his colum that he does not have any real Thai friends. Where is then "integration", how much of effort should be put into that. IMO, nothing. be what you are.

He might have a different definition of what local friends are or might be, but for me I know nobody else other than local Japanese.

Sleep overs for kids, camping once in 3 months, a trip here and there.

We don't speak Japanese other than "survival skills" and still prosper here.

When on the trips, the Japanese are proud to show their families they can communicate in English. Their kids drop their jaws when they see their papa or mama being on ease with a foreigner.

>In Asia, say just Japan or Thai, nobody can ever become Japanese or Thai.

...and why can I not become a Japanese citizen? In the past my Japanese language skills were almost a native level...had

a Japanese wife, was registered/living/working in Japan for 20 years...nothing to stop me from becoming a Japanese citizen.

Permanent Resident, yes. To be a Japanese, passport, your name has to be writen in kanji. Most can't get that. Have to change their name.

Imagine you and me meeting somewhere in Japan, and I introduce myself as Kobayashi, Akimitsu.

You would think I am joking.

Spiceman - if you want a good perspective reverse it. Think about people that come to your own country and consider themselves, for whatever reason, above learning the language.

I lived in Mid-Wilshire Los Angeles (aka Koreatown) for several years. My girlfriend came to California from Korea while still a kid. Amazing woman, I still miss her at times. (The problem came when her mother gave an ultimatum to get married now or else!). Her parents were in their early 40s when immigrating and didn't speak a word of English. Over time they learned - their language skills weren't great but they could communicate and had several enjoyable evenings in their company. What did surprise me were the people in their circle of friends who couldn't speak a lick of English and had no intention to. They were there to make money and stick with their own - and could care less about everything outside that small circle.

Did I respect those folks, was it some sort of privilege for me to be seen with them? Fuck no. But I respected the hell of of Hye-Kyung's parents for trying and making progress and a mutual respect developed.

So think about people that come to your neighborhood and consider themselves above it all or could give fuck all about making an effort to accomodate the local language and customs. What do you think about that? A model you want to emulate?

The question isn't whether you become some sort of brilliant master of the Thai language nuances, but whether you learn at all and use it. That is within your grasp and well worth the effort, IMHO.

Permanent Resident, yes. To be a Japanese, passport, your name has to be writen in kanji. Most can't get that. Have to change their name.

Imagine you and me meeting somewhere in Japan, and I introduce myself as Kobayashi, Akimitsu.

You would think I am joking.

It is OK for one's given (first) name to be written in Katakana, as is on my X's-passport.

The Chinese have written my name in Chinese but it has been a subject of debate for some decades, to me a joke!

Many in Japan take the new wife's family, especially if her family has no sons, thus they keep the family name going.

I am (was?) registered in the local konsai (local gov office census) so that is one of the first steps but never taken farther.

Just made my living/working, going in/out of Japan easier.

For me to get a Japanese passport, not really interested as I do not want to live there long term but maybe that changes :dunno:

It is OK for one's given (first) name to be written in Katakana, as is on my X's-passport.

The Chinese have written my name in Chinese but it has been a subject of debate for some decades, to me a joke!

Many in Japan take the new wife's family, especially if her family has no sons, thus they keep the family name going.

I am (was?) registered in the local konsai (local gov office census) so that is one of the first steps but never taken farther.

Just made my living/working, going in/out of Japan easier.

For me to get a Japanese passport, not really interested as I do not want to live there long term but maybe that changes :dunno:

What you are talking is a technical thing. I can be a Japanese permanent resident tomorrow. Then it goes.

Yes, you are right, becoming a citizen of Japan other than name change is a procedure. Defined, now no interviews, no arbitration, just paying japanese taxes 10+ years. You don't even have to go to the Immigration.

Somebody else (an agency) can do that for you.

Sounds like the Salieri from Mozart - where the focus is on formal training and structure opposed to what you're actually doing. Training has it's place, but have known people in the medical field with decades of training who were poster children of incompetence. Doing something properly requires only one thing - the ability to execute properly. Many roads to get there.

With Salieri you are mixing a talent with what can be done at school. Learned, for money. A bleak person, Kevin Rudd, ex-PM of Australia, speaks good Mandarin. Learned it in a proper school for diplomats, at tax payers expense.

Archived