What Are They Putting In The Water In S. Korea ?

gobbledonk

OK - I'm pretty much over KPOP, and I'm definitely over reality TV, so when Dami Im appeared on our version of 'X-Factor' my initial thoughts were 'Great - the token Asian ....'. When she told the world that she learnt to sing in Karaoke bars, I wanted to change the channel right there. The Asian girls normally get turfed in the 'playoffs', but she's still hanging in there.

Throw in judges who are more famous-for-being-famous than 'serious recording artists', and it has 'cringeworthy' written all over it. Fast forward a few weeks and Dami seems to have morphed from this 'shy little Korean girl' into some kind of manufactured diva, but isnt that the K-Pop dream ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyBuSSuhMl0

I'm not going to pretend that outfit - particularly the wings and ridiculous eyelashes - do it for me, and I far prefer the Purple One's rendition, but if you saw the sea of mediocrity which preceded Dami's performance you'd understand why the judges were standing on their desk at the end. A lot more oomph than the princesses that grace SBS PopAsia each weekend, but I guess they've had more time to get wardrobe and makeup down. Prince covers and a reality TV show do not a 'star' maketh, but she threw herself into it and at least I have a reason to remain halfway interested while I wait for the latest episode of 'Vikings'. ;)

For Asia, Japan is what UK was to Europe in 60s and 70s. A life style powerhouse. All fashion, apparel, hair styles in Bangkok are a copy of Japan.

Korea has come close, their entertainment is adored in Japan, their soapies and pop heroes are greeted like the Beatles in the 60s.

Now, they have their own, the Asian thing. Could not care less of the West.

For Asia, Japan is what UK was to Europe in 60s and 70s. A life style powerhouse. All fashion, apparel, hair styles in Bangkok are a copy of Japan.

Korea has come close, their entertainment is adored in Japan, their soapies and pop heroes are greeted like the Beatles in the 60s.

Now, they have their own, the Asian thing. Could not care less of the West.

So that explains why Beyonce concerts in Japan are sold out! :cool:

See how Google makes information available but disorienting?

In the city of 35 million people (more than entire Canada) anything can be sold out.

Yet that concert is peanuts compared to Korean pop stars that perform a serios of concerts in succession and draw far bigger crowds.

Japanese bands like AKB48 or Exile, no stadium is big enough to accommodate all interested. That band, Exile, performed 3 concerts, 3 days, at the Toyota City stadium (350km form Tokyo), 50,000 people per show.

For Koreans, there is camping around the hotels where they stay, hysteria like for The Beatles in the 60s.

10 years in Japan I have never heard a western song played anywhere (ski fileds, water parks, ice rinks, spas all play music) nor anyone listening to it in their car or homes.

So in 10 yrs you never visited Disneyland Tokyo (American music played). In 10 yrs you have never noticed the Hip Hop scene in Japan. In 10 yrs you have never noticed Japanese groups playing a variant on Western music.

I'll give you another 10 yrs to notice these things. :p

Archived