Tt Race. The Ultimate Motor Sport

scoobydoo

Back when I had good reflexes, I wanted to race in the TT. I didn't because I cherished my bike too highly to risk it. Didn't think twice about my own safety. The recklessness of youth.

Whilst I never raced in the TT I did enter the 1982 Manx GP "Newcomers" as a reckless 18 year old clubman racer.

For those who are unaware, the GP is the less glamorous event and is more for amateurs but it is still the same 37.75 Miles of 220+ corners of the most hair raising race course anywhere in the world. Run to the same format as a time trial and only over 3 laps, what an experience. I finished 23 out 120 and got my "Silver Replica" which is awarded to the top 25 placed finishers, I did also go over to Ireland to compete in the N.W. 200 but that was / is a mass start race.

As a kid my parents took me to the Isle of Man T.T.'s every year, my Mother is from the Island so it was chance for her to go and visit family and for my Father and I to watch what has often been dubbed "The Greatest Show on Earth", we couldn't afford package holidays to Benidorm across the Irish sea and 2 weeks staying at my Grandmothers house was as exotic as it got for me, I also took my own bike over as spectator for 7 years before I came to Asia.

One slight mistake in the video, there are speed limits on the Island but only about 20% of the Islands roads do have restrictions once you see that Black Line through a White Circle sign or the GLF's (Go Like Fuck) as we called them that is what you did just GLF, it's a great feeling overtaking a police car which is flat out lights and sirens going and knowing they are not going to stop you and as for "Mad Sunday" OMG how on earth I never killed myself I never know.

One occasion there that will always stick in my mind, on open roads I was following a bike around and I will be honest I only just managed to keep up with the guy, he knew his lines and braking points off to a T, when he indicated to pull over I decided to stop and have a chat with him, sort of mutual respect amongst bikers, the surprise I got when he pulled his lid of and I see this guy who must have been at least 70 pop a pipe in his mouth and said to me "You kept up with me well there son", it transpired that he raced there for about 12 years on the trot 40 years ago, no wonder he knew his way around.

Scobbydoo, thanks for starting this thread, I never realised there were other Board members who were into this. For anyone interested and wants to know what a lap around the Mountain Circuit is like here is an onboard camera full lap during practice week from a couple of years back, with the classic commentary at Parliment Square Ramsey "Don't fall off here you'll make a complete knob of yourself"

Enjoy

"The Greatest Show on Earth"

The previous video doesn't really give a concept of the actual speeds involved or what the commentary really means when it mentions "A little bumpy" a lot of the time your Front wheel is in the air and other times totally airborne, a full overall picture of what the circuit is like or how close the spectators are, this on will give you a better idea.

P.S. if anyone knows the tune playing from 0:29 onwards let me know, I have been trying to find it for ages and it's driving me mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

Awesome montage of speed!

I cant say i am a biker in any way but to me the TT is far and away the most exciting sporting event, nevermind motor sporting event on esrth. A bold statement but your second youtube speaks for that statement!

It really is, there was an article i read today about how modern day young men are not as thrill seeking as their previous generation and to some extent it was true, today lots of people get there thrills from the xbox etc, there is a part of the commentary in your link that says "Rather Like a VDO Game" the difference being if you fuck up on the Mountain Circuit there is no RESET button, no three lives.

Archived