Syria Thread

acockasian

Some people think Germany has more credibility than USA, Britain and France due to being less hawkish.

Just saw a few minutees of the Assad interview with Charlie Rose. He came across as far more credible than I had thought he would when I heard he did the interview.

He seemed to be extremely calm and extremely confident for someone the US and Israel want to vaporize.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't get it.

The German newspaper states Assad was not involved yet the article states that the Assad government was involved.

"The intercepted communications suggested Assad, who is accused of war crimes by the west, including foreign secretary William Hague, was not himself involved in last month's attack"

"But the intercepts tended to add weight to the claims of the Obama administration and Britain and France that elements of the Assad regime, and not renegade rebel groups, were responsible for the attack in the suburb of Ghouta, Bild said."

I still don't get it.

The German newspaper states Assad was not involved yet the article states that the Assad government was involved.

If I am understanding this ... out of a huge military there are different types of army units, reserve units, militia, etc. Maybe the compromise to avoid war is to admit that a unit not a part of the regular army did something they were not supposed to do? Acting on their own and not under orders or something like that.

If the Syrians agree to put certain weapons under international control this comes back to all governments in the Middle East agreeing to do that. Which I doubt Israel will ever agree to..

Bet they are loving this in Moscow right now.

Bet they are loving this in Moscow right now.

From the little I have read the Rooskies have a strategic port in Syria. And the Rooskies don't want to give up this important port to anyone.

Therefore no talks, no compromise, no nothing . . . from the Rooskies. Nyet.

Oh, and thanks for explaining the German news article. Makes sense now.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57601994/syria-says-it-welcomes-russian-proposal-to-place-chemical-weapons-under-international-control/

Syria on Monday quickly welcomed a call from Russia, its close ally, to place Syrian chemical arsenals under international control, then destroy them to avert a U.S. strike, but did not offer a time frame or any other specifics.

The statement by Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem appeared to mark the first official acknowledgement by Damascus that it possesses chemical weapons and reflected what appeared to be an attempt by Syrian President Bashar Assad to avoid the U.S. military attack.

From the little I have read the Rooskies have a strategic port in Syria. And the Rooskies don't want to give up this important port to anyone.

Therefore no talks, no compromise, no nothing . . . from the Rooskies. Nyet.

The Russians have not given up a single square inch of the land Stalin annexed during and after World War II. And they are not about to.

Just saw a few minutees of the Assad interview with Charlie Rose. He came across as far more credible than I had thought he would when I heard he did the interview.

He seemed to be extremely calm and extremely confident for someone the US and Israel want to vaporize.

I think you'll find plenty of gulf states want to vaporise him

Assad is certainly fighting the propaganda war well by appearing calm and confident on an American talk show.

He was educated in Britain and studied to be a dentist. His wife is British. Assad is a very different kind of guy than Saddam was.

*sight*

sorry, but you got most of the facts wrong.....

Assad studied to be an eye doctor but gave up to return to Syria.

His wife was born in Syria, her dad is Syrian and mom is British, and she studied in the UK.

Could you please elaborate on how different Assad is from Saddam ?

BB

Archived