Thai Women Warned Off Foreign Men

radioman

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/367972/facebook-relationships-dangerous-thai-women-warned

Thai women have been warned to be careful about dating foreign men they meet on social networking sites, because they could end up being tricked, robbed and lured into sexual encounters.

538366.jpg

A women's network is warning Thai women about dating foreign men whom they meet online. (Sanook.com photo)

Charoensri Chaikhat, chairwoman of the Phayao Women's Network, said on Wednesday that there have been many reports of Thai women being scammed by foreign men they met on Facebook.

"On Facebook, you cannot tell the true identity of a person on the other end because the person can manipulate photos and use a false name," Mrs Charoensri said.

She said a woman in northern Thailand was recently lured into having sex with a Nigerian man she met on Facebook. The man also stole valuables from her.

"I've also experienced a similar thing. A man who said he was French wanted to add me as a friend on Facebook, but I rejected him because I don't know him," Mrs Charoensri said.

She said Thai women, whether teenagers or adults, should exercise discretion when using social networking sites. They should not post personal information, such as identification card numbers and bank account numbers, because they could be seen by online criminals, she added.

The 419 Scammers are getting rather creative nowadays

Since I work as a Contractor my resume is visible online, but I ensure that the email address I use on my resume is different than my private email address mainly for my own convenience so I don't have to bother filtering emails.

One landed in my "works" inbox the other day claiming to be a law firm in Qatar executing the will of someone with same surname as me who had been in Qatar at the same time as me had passed away in-probate and they could claim I was his next of Kin to get assets from his estate 55-45 split. Well it is damn obvious where they got the email address and my working history details from.

In order to view my contact details they have to register, at a fee, as an employment agency and they are also now setting up their own domain names so the email address is not a yahoo or gmail one as it used to be, so the email in my inbox came from Mrs X@abcd.com of abcd Lawyers.

For a laugh / out of boredom I did a quick whois search and found the domain had been registered 1 month previously in USA but owners address was Nigeria. I was considering replying and sending my ex's bank details to them but even I am not that vindictive.

One landed in my "works" inbox the other day claiming to be a law firm in Qatar executing the will of someone with same surname as me who had been in Qatar at the same time as me had passed away in-probate and they could claim I was his next of Kin to get assets from his estate 55-45 split. Well it is damn obvious where they got the email address and my working history details from..

The same thing happened to me but via snail mail rather than email. The letter came from a Spanish law firm and looked very official. It was typed on very high quality paper and looked similar to a letter I had received from a Swedish law firm which was genuine. It stated that someone with the the same surname as me had kicked the bucket and left 7 million USD. They were now looking for a heir and had found me. All I had to do was contact them and they would take care of everything. They would split the takings 50/50. The didn't ask for any bank account number or any other personal information. As it is I have a surname that is very unusual, although not unique, in Sweden. It is much more common in Germany. I don't know why they contacted me, maybe it was beacause there are so few Swedes with that surname.

Moreover I know all my relatives with the same surname and none of them have kicked the bucket recently. Perhaps the Nigeria scammers have moved to Spain.

I only have 2 living relatives with same name as me and thats my parents, my Fathers sisters took their married name and as did my sisters, on top of that no way my father has been working in Qatar 5 years ago he retired in 1995. Furthermore the Surname I go by is not my real name it is the name I was given when I was adopted.

I have also received more sinister ones, from xxxxxx@shell_nigeria.com claiming to be SHELL Oil company in Nigeria and inviting me to Lagos for an interview and offered to provide the flight tickets. Yes SHELL do have operations in Nigeria but I also used to work for SHELL and know that the domain name used globally is @shell.com irrespective of whatever country one is working in.

What was behind that I often wonder, a kidnap plot, set me up as a drugs mule, who knows ? Even though I have been known to work in some places where others would never dream of, there is no way I would ever work in Nigeria I would rather go back to Iraq again than go there.

Archived