Samsung Galaxy 4

think_too_mut

Once mighty Nokia has quit.

Smart phones (excluding Chinese for their local market) is now with 3 names: Android based (Samsung + Google's Motorola handsets also running Android), Apple and distant third Microsoft (the owner of Nokia smart phone business).

Interesting is that Nokia went for 5 bil US$, less than what Microsoft had paid for Skype, the company that made nothing other than smarts how to piggyback on the existing telcos and their networks.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was phone shopping a couple of months back when I changed jobs. Previous employers Desire HD, already 2 years old went back and I went for another HTC, my 5th. Atom, Tytn2, HD2, desire HD, and now... HTC One. Really happy and I've come to embrace BlinkFeed for my news, and Zoe for the 3 second video clips that allow me to pick just that one good frame. The 4MP camera is pretty wild. I can take pictures in a dimly lit bar, heck that's where i take most of my camera pics, and they come out looking like they were taken in full daylight, that's what a sensor with twice the size pixels does, it's all about the light let in. Construction is impressive, single aluminium billet machined to hold everything and sealed tight. half as thick as an iPhone 5 and a bigger screen with more ppi. Downsides, well it's a sealed unit ala iPhone so no easily replaceable battery and no add on memory card but since Apple showed the way on that I really have no issues with it and my carry along battery pack adds a second charge should I need it, not yet so far. Am I a fan, yes, no doubt, it's the phone I wanted 10 years ago, chuffed it's here at last.

It's a step up from an S4 albeit not by a massive amount but the really big difference is in the execution. Most phones of that ilk are pretty horrendous plastic bendy toys, Samsung included. What the One has is a class of build that starts to make the much vaunted, and for good reason, Apple build quality, easily attainable by all.

Downsides, well it's a sealed unit ala iPhone so no easily replaceable battery and no add on memory card but since Apple showed the way on that I really have no issues with it and my carry along battery pack adds a second charge should I need it, not yet so far. Am I a fan, yes, no doubt, it's the phone I wanted 10 years ago, chuffed it's here at last.

RM

You live in Thailand my friend, Batteries can be replaced on most street corners nearly, OK not quite every street corner but Zeer, MBK, Fortune, Panthip etc all have stalls there for cheap as chips replacements.

My first Smart, or should that be Semi-Smart phone was a HTC, back when they were called O2 not to be confused with the UK carrier of same name and running Windows Mobile 5, that would have been 2005 at a guess.

That would be the O2 Atom I guess, wasn't Windows mobile 5 a piece of junk? Though we likely thought otherwise at the time. I had an Ericsson P800 before that and I think at the time Symbian was better.

Battery changes for all of these sealed phones are about US$75 a time anywhere east of about 50 degrees. I guess that fits with many who appear here.

It was the model before the Atom, model name slips my mind at the moment, the Atom was a pile of junk.

8 years ago WM5 was at the leading edge of mobi technology and I stuck with it through WM6 until the first iPhone appeared in 2007,(grey market import from MBK) the difference was amazing and I have been with Apple ever since.

I paid 1500 THB for a new screen, home button and battery 2-3 weeks ago, the AIS feed for Premier League football failed and my iPad got thrown across the room, I couldn't afford to have such a hissy fit back in UK haha.

I have an IPhone 4S and am happy with the performance and somewhat happy with the monthly charge of $50 through Straight talk. I'm waiting to see what new phones come out through Republic Wireless. At $20 for unlimited talk, text and Internet, I'd switch as my wife and 3 kids. need a new phone and $100 a month for 5 people sounds a lot better than the family plans offered by the major carriers.

Archived