Samsung Galaxy 4

think_too_mut

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A "Ludist" is the right word, if that is what you mean.

Incorrect Luddite is the correct phrase, the followers of Ned Ludd early 19th Century England, Smash the machines, bring down the industrial revolution, the machines will take all our jobs. Coming from Northern England myself the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and Automation I am well aware of the Industrial heritage of my region and the political movements ongoing during phases of history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

Turn on Power Saving mode.

Turn off WiFi

Turn off Bluetooth

Turn off GPS (location)

Turn off NFC

Turn off Smart Screen

Turn off Voice Control

Turn off Gestures.

Use dark (mostly black) and static wallpapers and lock screen.

Reduce screen brightness.

Quit playing Angry Birds.

No need for googling, when I learned that at 7th grade of elementary school, the term was "ludist", same as "maoist" or "pacifist".

My point is rather along these lines: if you took someone from 1930. and show them a kitchen from 1970.with hot tap water sink, toaster, microwave, dishwasher, stove, they would think it's a marvel, a spaceship (if they could fathom the idea of space travel).

If you took someone from 1970. to a kitchen of 2010. they would find the same functionalities, nothing that did not exist in 1970, just different design.

To make a phone call, that is what "function" phone and smartphone differences are. And more importantly, the essence is in what you have to say, not how beautiful the device you are using to talk is.

Hi,

I actually find myself agreeing with TTM :)

I too have not seen the point of getting a smartphone. Used a 500 Baht phone for over a year until my wife bought me a slightly more advanced phone for ~2K as she was embarrassed whenever I took my phone out :)

The thing is the phone did what I needed, i.e. make / receive phone calls and SMSes. I don't need a camera, radio, GPS receiver, Internet browser, games, etc etc on my phone. Good thing about cheap phone was also that a charge easily lasted a week or more.

My wife is again (still?) wanting me to buy a smartphone. Main reason being so I can install Line and she can send me stupid cartoon pics. Uh.. no thanks.

Sanuk!

Use the iPhone more than any other item I own (note: a Samsung would do just as well). Every day use it to monitor emails and message friends using iMessage or Line -- friends here in Thailand, California, Chicago, and one in Berlin. Logon to Bangkok bank and pay bills. Logon to Schwaab and move money between accounts. Use dropbox to share files and photos, some for projects and some for fun. Occasionally collaborate on small projects with old employer just to generate a little income and not burn bridges - have an email client for that on the iPhone as well, and use webex for fully functional conferencing including video presentations.

On any given day while out and about I may logon to Chefsxp and order from Beirut or Isao so the food is enroute when I get back to the apartment. Also post on a couple forums.

But I rarely use it for phone calls. Don't really talk on the phone much. Haven't had a landline in 5 years and likely never will again. But I see it (the iPhone) as an indispensable tool - one that has delivered a solid ROI. That is highly subjective of course, YMMV.

...But I rarely use it for phone calls. Don't really talk on the phone much. Haven't had a landline in 5 years and likely never will again. But I see it (the iPhone) as an indispensable tool - one that has delivered a solid ROI.

That is not surprising. There are fewer and fewer things only a PC can do.

My difference is that I am on PC 16 hours a day, whether corporate or private or both at the same time, all is done from them, more comfortably then from a small kbd and screen that phones have, however beautiful they may be.

To me, the phone is only for calls. Even that, with Cisco IP phone on my PC, I can do that for free (within the company, a multinational) and have video conference via it as well.

Archived