Computers And Customs

pe7e

I wouldn't recommend trying to grease the palms of customs officers with tea money.

At the end of the day the iMac in question could be purchased brand new in Thailand for 67,000 THB making VAT payable less than 5,000. If the OP could prove that it was used, show his visa and explain the situation they would probably let him go on his way or value it at say 25,000 and charge 1,750 duty on it.

Getting stopped, which is even less likely now they are pulling resources from the green channel to work in other areas. You'll notice it's much wider a walkway now with far fewer personnel on show. If they are going to stop you they know about it a bit ahead of that. Either way a couple of greys should limit the delay.

I'm curious about this. At which point would you suggest handing the money over? When the officer approaches you as you're walking through the green channel? As he approaches, pull it out and wave it in the air while saying "Song pun, paw mai?"

I'm curious about this. At which point would you suggest handing the money over? When the officer approaches you as you're walking through the green channel? As he approaches, pull it out and wave it in the air while saying "Song pun, paw mai?"

After you've sat in 'the office' for 30 minutes and he's dissappeared or been otherwise occuopied only to return with a bored look and the indication that the paperwork and hassle involved will not likely see you leaving the airport for at least another hour or two. At that point a junior flunky likely acting as an impromptu translator for the non Thai speaking foreigner may well indicate a different solution that could see you on your way in short order. There are many who may opt to take this route.

Conversely my problem has mostly been just the reverse when needing to have things registered at customs on arrival and duty paid in order to later have it properly registered with the appropriate government agency as is the case for anything requiring an import licence. I have experienced officials disinterested with the whole affair and rather than do the required paperwork indicate that it's not necessary and I can just proceed taking the restricted item with me.

Archived