Luxury Goods Tax To Decrease?

Mekong

TTM,

Many things in Thailand are "a bit odd" I thought you knew that by now if I had ever tried to find reason or rationale behind some of the rules I would have either packed my bags years ago or ended up in a mental asylum.

Not sure how it is in Japan but in UK and Thailand the Vehicle can only have one registered owner and it is the registration document that needs to be produced when importing the vehicle and then at Land Vehicle Registry office to get it onto Thai plates.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to take advantage of importing a car but, living in US, have no desire to convert it to left hand driving. I may consider a high end motorcycle when the time comes to move back. How would Thai authorities know if the Thai wife drove it, even if it was registered to her? Would joint title with the spouse count?

Dean see my reply to TTM above, does the USA allow you to register a Vehicle in joint names? in the USA Certificate of Title or "Pink Slip" I am sure only one registered owner.

Does your wife have a Motorcycle Licence?

To add a motorcycle to her driver's licence, she would have to pass a vision test, a written test and a skills test on a motorcycle, or complete a motorcycle education course. I'll start worrying about it when we get within 2 years of moving back.

RM

That is if duty is applicable, we are discussing how to import duty free keep up mate.

Hang on, I see where it says, first line of Criteria for import of used/secondhand vehicles, An importer is eligible to import only ONE used/ secondhand vehicles for personal use.

But still cannot see where that indicates it would be free of duty.

Not saying that's not the case but where can I see that I would at any stage be able to bring in a vehicle free of any tax or duty.

Household effects can be exempt of duty but vehicles are excluded from that, last line of second para on the page related to import of household effects.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this relief.

So I still think you would be looking at paying a big bill on import of a vehicle.

Happy to be pointed at the errors here.

Ta.

Dean,

You have answered your own question, since your wife does not have a Motorcycle licence she could not have owned and registered it for 18 months prior.

RM

Correct one vehicle in your life tax free, like all things in Thailand it's a damn pain in the butt but well worth it at the end of the day if it is a Vehicle you cherish.

I imported my Audi TT I used in the UK earlier this year and paid the duty on it reduced by 67% since it was registered March 2005 and sold it within one week doubling my money on it.

Actually, you can buy a motorcycle without a motorcycle driver's licence. You just can't drive it legally. As far as changing the licence to include motorcycles, are Thai custom agents any better at deciphering foreign driver's licence than the average Thai cop?

Hi,

"It's a bit odd, a legally married couple should be able to bring their used possessions after years abroad, a car along with the household items."

Same stupid rule applies to the money required in a Thai bank account for a Non-O visa as well. It has to be in a bank account in your name only, a mutual account in both you and your wife's name is not allowed. Doesn't make any sense to me either, as getting legally married means all assets are shared. So, even if the money is in my name only, it still belongs to both of us.

But of course, Thai government and logic don't really go together.

Sanuk!

Archived